What is better than the Crystalyte Phoenix Brute for me?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
boyelectric
What is better than the Crystalyte Phoenix Brute for me?

Greetings,

I have recently completed my install of a Crystalyte Phoenix Brute (what model # is that?) 36v rear-hub motor on a Schwinn cruiser. I am using a large LiFePO battery pack.

So... Everything is very heavy. I'm not light either ;-)

But, I love the torque of this set up and I have lots of hills in Seattle.

The question is:

Are units like the Bionx 500w, or the BMC hub motor going to be a better setup (ie: lighter, more efficient, and be just as torque-y)?

Thanks!

boyelectric
Re: What is better than the Crystalyte Phoenix Brute for me?

...or another possibility might be to move to TWO hub motors, front and rear. I just don't know if that is possible with existing controllers out there.

LinkOfHyrule
LinkOfHyrule's picture

A geared hub will (like a BMC) be all of that. However, it won't be able to take the beating an X5 can.

If your goal is just more speed or power, overvolt it. These things are practically indestructible. They're perfectly fine at over 100V and 50A.

Generally, two motor setups don't work out as well as planned. It kinda works like this: If you need more power, get an X5. If you need more power than an X5 can give, get a motorcycle. ;)

The author of this post isn't responsible for any injury, disability or dismemberment, death, financial loss, illness, addiction, hereditary disease, or any other undesirable consequence or general misfortune resulting from use of the "information" contai

boyelectric

So, is there any difference between the 36v and 48v Crystalyte Phoenix Brute hubs? Is it all just the controller?

I have a lot of $$$ invested in a LiFePO 36v battery pack, so, I am loathe to spend more on getting to a higher voltage, plus adding extra weight.

I suppose I could disassemble the 36V battery pack, though that would "void my warranty" ;-)

LinkOfHyrule
LinkOfHyrule's picture

Yah. The Brute (X5305) can handle very high voltages (in fact no one's been able to fry one; the controller's always gone first). The whole X5 line is very conservatively rated. Underrated, actually. They actually aren't getting best efficiency at only 36V.

Who's LiFe do you have, anyway?

The author of this post isn't responsible for any injury, disability or dismemberment, death, financial loss, illness, addiction, hereditary disease, or any other undesirable consequence or general misfortune resulting from use of the "information" contai

boyelectric

I have electricrider's 20amp hour Eonyx (in the old style case).

How would you suggest this hobbyist proceed? What other controller would I use? At what voltage is the X5305 most efficient? I assume efficiency would also have to be evaluated in the controller as well....

LinkOfHyrule
LinkOfHyrule's picture

Quite a few ways, actually. You might want to make a post over at the ES, too. Lot of X5 owners there.

A C'lyte comes to mind first, but they're pricey.

I think you can get a brushless from eBay (e-crazyman), too. There's actually a bit of buzz about those on the ES, because we have a contact with Keywin (AKA e-crazyman), and he's working on improving that controller. It's looking like a good option, so far.

Of course, you could try modding the controller you have, if you're up to it.

I don't know what voltage the X5s are most efficient at. AFAIK, no one's done a proper dyno test on it at different voltages. The controller will have a bit of inefficiency, too, but it's negligible. Most are 95%+ efficient.

NickF23

all crystalyte controllers can be run at 48 volts, so the simple test would be to add a single 12 volt lead acid battery in series and see if you like the performance. Remember not to destroy the lead battery by over discharging it . you might also want to check with the people that sold you the lithium battery that the extra 12 volts won't damage the lithium battery management system (I doubt it will but check first).

bmcaleer10

All you Brute owners out there.....How does the X5 do on a 12% hill? I need to know before I make a purchase. Thanks.

boyelectric

I'd like to be able to tell you, but I don't have any charts of what hills around here are what %. I have been looking for data, since it would be helpful in plotting directions to travel in the Seattle area.

If anyone has this hill data for Seattle, I'd be happy to report what the hills I travel are like. I have a 5305 running 36v.

bmcaleer10

Yes, I am dying to know. Usually at the crest of the hill right before it starts to go down, there is a brake caution sign for trucks and a slope rating in %. From what I have read, the brute accellerates like a mad dawg and pulls up insane hills. My money is half out but I just wanted confirmation. Much Thanks to you.
~Barry

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage