What will changing from a 48V 20 amp controller to a 48V 30-35 amp do for performance on a E-bike hub motor?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
andys
andys's picture
What will changing from a 48V 20 amp controller to a 48V 30-35 amp do for performance on a E-bike hub motor?

I am having a lot of fun with my EV Tech BMC brushless hub motor, but as usual with me, I am now looking to increase the power a bit. I am running the Crystalite 48V 20 amp controller, and wondered if I went to a larger amp controller what affect it would have. Would the hill climbing and acceleration be affected? Would it change the top end on flat ground?

I am currently running a Ping 48V15ah LiFepo4 Battery with a 2C continuous 3C peak BMS set up. I don't know if the 40amp Crystalite Phoenix controller would over work my battery, or if it is compatible with the EV tech geared hub motor. Anybody know? Also, anyone know of a brushless e-bike controller that is a 30 amp rating?

dogman
dogman's picture
r performance on a E-bike hub motor?

Let the specs for the ping battery be your guide. Unless someone out there is running the same motor and controller with the same battery. A cycleanalyst would really help you to know what you are realy using in amps when actualy riding. Hills and the speed you ride can make huge differences in real world draw on the battery. On the other hand, you could resell the new controller pretty easy for less than you paid for it if it doesn't work out for you. I'd be inclined to just try it, and maybe get more battery later if it doesn't work with the bms you have. There is talk that ping is getting new bms in the future that can be parallel connected. With the new bms, you could get another battery to provide the amps you need. Imagine the range you would have then!

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

andys
andys's picture
Re: r performance on a E-bike hub motor?

what I'd really like to try is 60 volts. Apparently the Hub motors do fine at higher voltage. I hope Ping can build 60 volt packs at a good price at some point. A 60 volt 15AH battery should still be compact and weigh about 18 pounds. I may attach a small LA battery as a temporary measure to test what it would do with an extra 12 volts. I should see about 25 MPH as a top end, and pick up a little on hill climbing as well. Long term, I'd still need to use a higher voltage controller. I know I've seen a 48-72 volt variable one.

strawhistle
Re:changing from 48V 20 amp do for a E-bike hub motor?

:)

With lith batts with bms set to protect the batt look for " continuous discharge XX Amps and do not exceed that . the controlers can over amp with a simple jumper . if you just want to go faster you have to raise the voltage LaTer

thank GOD I wake up above ground !!!!

andys
andys's picture
Re:changing from 48V 20 amp do for a E-bike hub motor?

I tested it today at 60 volts by adding a small LA battery in series with the 48 volt pack. I only rode it about 4 miles because I didn't want to drain down the LA battery too far, but it is awesome at 60 volts and now I am spoiled. Top end was over 25 MPH, and the hill climbing with the geared hub and 20 inch wheels is unbelievable. The throttle response was so smooth. I have huge front crank from a road bike, so I can still pedal along at speeds over 25 MPH.

Anyone know if the Crystalite 48V 20AMp controller I am running can handle 60 volts for continued use? I guess I will find out if I brake it! It didn't get hot after my short ride, neither did the hub motor.

What would be the easiest way to add 12 volts to the system? I found a 12 Volt 13AH NIMH pack with charger with similar output (30 amps continuous 60 peak). I think that might work better than a single LA battery tied in (like I did in my test)and weighs a few pounds less. Any problems with mixing types of batteries in series?

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage