"Shuddering" from hub motor

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
JefMurray
"Shuddering" from hub motor

Greetings!

I've just pulled my Giant Suede E out of the mothballs and started to ride it for the first time this year. It's seen almost no use since purchased (1 year ago) because of other stuff happening that prevented my getting out with it much.

But...here's the problem. Took it out for about a mile, when the battery indicator dropped to two LEDs from three. I'd just charged the battery (NiMH) the night before. Just thereafter, LEDs all went off, and bike stalled. Since then, there's tremendous resistance to rolling from front wheel with hub motor. It "shudders" as you push along, and this is whether or not power is on, whether or not there's even a battery installed.

Anyone heard of such a thing? I'm trying to see if I can get the hub motor replaced under warranty, but would like to know what's really going on for my own edification....

Jef

dogman
dogman's picture
Re: "Shuddering" from hub motor

I'm far from the sciecntist here, but my motor did similar things when I let the hub spin, shorting the wires to the motor. This is turn fried the controller. After awhile, with no current to the motor the resistance went away. I don't know if it was the shorted wires or the smoking controller that caused the resistance.

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

JefMurray

Thanks for input!

Here's some more info. With battery still disconnected (had been for about 24 hours), I unplugged the hub motor from the controller, and then the front wheel would spin _relatively_ freely...that is, about as much as it should have with no power applied. But, when I plugged back in to the controller, the "shuddering" began all over again.

I'm thinking that the controller is fried, and that some strangeness is occurring with the motor sending regenerated pulses back to the controller, which in turn sends scrambled signals back to the motor. Does this make any electrical/electronic sense to anyone?

In any event, sounds like I need a new controller rather than a new motor. Comments/suggestions, anyone?

Jef

dogman
dogman's picture

Pretty close to the same as when my controller fried, except in my case, the shuddering stopped about half way home. I think the shuddering stopped when the wire got completely cut, unplugging it. Once I fixed the wires in the motor and plugged in the controller, the resistance returned. Do look hard for some type of short in the wiring before you plug in a new controller. Don't want to scorch two controllers.

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation