BD36 throttle

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
hogheaven
BD36 throttle

Has anyone had trouble with the thumb throttle on the BD36 bike? The whole piece with the thumb lever popped off, along with the spring inside, this weekend. I was able to piece it back together on the side of the road, but it kept coming off when I went over bumps.

2 questions:

How can I fasten the throttle so it doesn't break apart again? I can't tell how the manufacturer intended to keep the two pieces together.

Is anyone aware of a place I can buy a twist throttle that'll work for the BD36?

Thanks so much.

dogman
dogman's picture
Re: BD36 throttle

Mine has popped apart too but only when it's off the bike. The rubber grip keeps it from popping all the way off once installed. I'm pretty sure the chystalite throttles will work, or scooter throttles. Electricscooterparts.com should have what you need.

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

hogheaven

Thanks for the info.

LinkOfHyrule
LinkOfHyrule's picture

Any hall-effect throttle will work. There's no shortage of them either, since they're used on pretty much every scooter/bike that isn't very high end.

I use a half-twist myself. Doesn't cramp your thumb (unlike a thumb throttle) but you still have a usable handlebar grip with it (unlike a full twist).

The author of this post isn't responsible for any injury, disability or dismemberment, death, financial loss, illness, addiction, hereditary disease, or any other undesirable consequence or general misfortune resulting from use of the "information" contai

dogman
dogman's picture

That was what I thought, but I have no idea how that works since there are no hall sensors on a brushed motor. Everything in the little box is a mystery to me, but I'm learning.

Be the pack leader.

LinkOfHyrule
LinkOfHyrule's picture

No, there's an analogue hall sensor in the throttle. There's a magnet in the moving part of the throttle. The magnet moves past the hall sensor and causes it to output a varying 0-4V signal.

There are hall sensors in brushless motors, too, but those are usually digital. Their purpose is to tell the controller where the magnets are so it knows which phase to turn on.

Brushed motors have the brush assembly to deal with where to put the magnetic field, so they don't need hall sensors.

The author of this post isn't responsible for any injury, disability or dismemberment, death, financial loss, illness, addiction, hereditary disease, or any other undesirable consequence or general misfortune resulting from use of the "information" contai

dogman
dogman's picture

Niceley done, for me to understand electronics takes a good teacher. Some threads just make me go HUH?

Be the pack leader.

needWheels

I actually took mine apart on purpose.

I put in some glue to try to seal the electronics a little better against rain and then I tried cutting off half a loop of the spring to reduce the tension.

It took me nearly an hour to get it back together right, I really regret doing it.

But the reduced spring tension does work. Much less harsh on my thumb. However it sort of sticks on low speeds if you don't release it quickly with momentum. I use that now as sort of a lower speed cruise control.

silentguy

I took the spring out completely.

Then used some rubber with sticky tape on the other side
(unused from my bike computer) and stuck that to the 4 posts,
that hold the thumb throttle in place.
This provided enough friction and grip to keep the thumb throttle in place.

Now I can set any speed I want and it sticks there due to the rubber grip.

Without the rubber, you go over a bump and the throttle moves,
and your speed changes, which is not good...

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage