Front Crank Freewheel: Any Cheaper alternatives than cyclone parts?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Tinkergrrl
Front Crank Freewheel: Any Cheaper alternatives than cyclone parts?

I'm starting to put together my parts to build my first e bike. I'm trying to choose between a front freewheel drive or rear drive for my Kollmorgen motor. I'd like to take advantage of the existing gears on the bike I have but I'm having trouble finding a front flywheel that will work. I've located several flywheels I might be able to fabricate into an adapter to fit on the crank, but am looking for suggestions or someone who has built one. I don't want to spend a lot on these parts, but I do have access to machine tools and can do some fabricating. I have looked into Schwinn FFS and cyclone parts, but would rather build something and save the money. I thought about using a freewheel from an excercise bike...Any suggestions?

marcus
Re: Front Crank Freewheel: Any Cheaper alternatives than cyclone

most tandem bikes have freewheel cranks

tropmonky

"Most tandem bikes have freewheel cranks"

Ahhhh, good to know! Anyone here have a location on the net to purchase them?

Kyle

engr_scotty
engr_scotty's picture

I have a trek tandem and it doesn't have a freewheel crank. The rear rider *does* have a dual crank, that connects to the front rider's crank on the left side (it's called the "idler sprocket").

This is a step in the right direction. What's needed on this is a freewheel on the motor end. Any ideas?

Scotty

tropmonky

There seem to be a lot of free wheels on the motor side on the scooter parts websites...

Recently I've decided to start looking into doing a geared hub, then having two freewheel sprockets on it. One going to the foot crank and the other going to the motor.... This will enable both of the power systems (human or just the motor) to go without the other having to move. This will also enable me to use a gearing system.

I'm in the process of getting parts together and hope to start my project in the next week or two. I'll be posting pics up of course!

Kyle

engr_scotty
engr_scotty's picture

There seem to be a lot of free wheels on the motor side on the scooter parts websites...

Recently I've decided to start looking into doing a geared hub, then having two freewheel sprockets on it. One going to the foot crank and the other going to the motor.... This will enable both of the power systems (human or just the motor) to go without the other having to move. This will also enable me to use a gearing system.

I'm in the process of getting parts together and hope to start my project in the next week or two. I'll be posting pics up of course!

Kyle

Sounds good. Please keep me posted. It sounds like the motor will be driving one gear and the your pedal power will have multiple gears... correct?

I think this is a good way to go because it puts the motor and chain behind you, so that it's not as noisy. Of course, you can't switch motor tears unless you somehow run a separate derailer...

Yes, please keep me posted and please send any links regarding your freewheel finds, etc. Thanks!

chas_stevenson
chas_stevenson's picture

tropmonky,

Your idea is a good one the only change I might suggest for simplicity is to put one of the freewheels on the motor. This transmission can be used laced into a rim. I have 2 bikes which use internal gears with a freewheel on the motor and the crank using one chain. This setup works very well with very fast acceleration and good top speed. Shifting the motor and pedals at the same time works better than shifting them separately. I also have a three wheel delta recumbent trike with 3-speeds on the motor and 24 on the pedals. This works OK but you have to shift 2 shifters when accelerating or start pedaling in a very gear so the motor gets you going and can be shifted without thinking about which gear your legs are in. I would NOT recommend this. I am trying to come up with a better way for the trike.

Grandpa Chas S.

engr_scotty
engr_scotty's picture

tropmonky,

..I have 2 bikes which use internal gears with a freewheel on the motor and the crank using one chain...

Grandpa Chas S.

Thanks Gramps! Are both of your internal gear setups the NuVinchi? Where did you get them and how much? ... any other options? Thanks again...

chas_stevenson
chas_stevenson's picture

The NuVinchi is not a geared hub but a continuously variable transmission (CVT). I have been using Nexus internally geared hubs which you can order at your local bike shop (LBS). I want to try the NuVinchi on a bike because I think it will be better than gears to keep the motor in the sweet spot as you can hold the motor RPM at one spot and increase or decrease your speed with the CVT.

Grandpa Chas S.

tropmonky

The CVT sure is nice, however just too expensive right now for me. A 7 or more speed internal hub is most likely what I'll be going for. The CVT sure sounds nice though.

Kyle

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage