Whats available that is an EV that just requires a driver license to drive?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
cobb
Whats available that is an EV that just requires a driver license to drive?

I live 13 miles from work and can take surface streets with various speed limits with the max being 40mph. I see most gem cars go 25mph as well as some electric mopeds, however some seem to list higher speeds. Then we have the 3 wheeled evs and the victrix bike.

Ive read a lot on the zapino scooter and athough that was my first choice my dealings with the web guy who answers emails is the worlds worse. I am just assuming since it has a high wattage motor, it should be able to go faster than 25mph. Seems that there are some articles here on the high/low speed switch.

The other scooters seem to have problems for some owners and not quite go 40mph. I hate to go through getting a motorcycle license if someone else will do, or something 4 wheel like a gem car or modified electric smart.

So, whats out there to buy now that is electric for one person to commute to work and back 13 miles one way that can go 40mph or so? I am in Richmond, VA and wouldnt mind driving a state away to see something, test drive and or even purchase it.

Feel free to reply or email me markacobb [at] yahoo.com Marketing emails welcome, vendors only willing or able to ship to zip code 23223 Budget 10 grand.

knabo
knabo's picture
Re: Whats available that is an EV ...

If you want a vehicle that only requires a drivers license then you are looking at a moped or maybe some scooters. Especially if you want to go 13 miles one way, most electric scooters don't have that kind of range.

Some used auto EV's would meet your needs, but you would be hard pressed to find one within your budget.

My best advice, based on experience is goto http://electricmotorsport.com and look at the Super Motard with Lithium batteries. I have a lead acid version of this bike (for sale in the marketplace actually) and it has been great, but lead only gives me a 10 mile range total, so it won't quite meet your needs.

If you are comfortable on two wheels, I would recommend taking a motorcycle driving course and get your license. Then you can get a Vectrix or equivalent that will easily meet your needs.

Luther Burrell, Mesa, Arizona, USA
Rides: ZuumCraft from zuumcraft.com
Previous Rides: Blue Vectrix Maxi scooter

dogman
dogman's picture
Re: Whats available that is an EV ...

What's the problem with a motorcycle licence? In my state, NM, to get a bike endorsement on your drivers licence, that is permanent, you take a weekend course on safe riding and bike handling. If you are going to ride in traffic in the big city why would you want to skip that? Its only going to SAVE YOUR LIFE! So get er done, and then you can ride anything, incuding a gas scooter or bike, if nothing else looks good to you.

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging