Question about buying a used eGo 2 Classic

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
shutrbug
Question about buying a used eGo 2 Classic

I'm interested in getting my first electric scooter to use as an alternative to my Honda Pilot for the 2.5 mile commute on suburban streets. I've been trying to bike or walk to work as much as possible but I arrive hot and sweaty after the workout. Hence, the thought of getting something for the short commute and trips to the grocery store. My commute is basically flat, but the 2 mile trip to the store involves a gradual climb of about 400' in altitude.

I saw a listing for a couple year old eGo 2 Classic that supposedly has about 100 miles on it, although the batteries don't hold a charge well any more (range is about 10 miles). The seller is asking for a little under $1000. Given that a new set of batteries will cost a couple of hundred dollars, the asking price seems high for a scooter that costs $1550 new and has a warranty. Can anyone advise me what would be a fair price for the scooter and whether there are any things that I should be looking out for?

Thanks,
shutrbug

mopedtedd
Re: Question about buying a used eGo 2 Classic

Hi Shutrbug,
I've owned an Ego for about 3 1/2 years now. I look at the price of used Egos from time to time to stay abreast of their value should I ever want to sell mine. With the new soft tail coming out someday, I might do that.

To answer your question, from my experience, used Egos go for between $500 and $800. This one is unusual because of the low milage. But then again, you're looking at new batteries right away. I wouldn't pay more than $750 for the reason you stated. Any more than that and I'd be inclined to just buy a new one and get the warranty and peace of mind that would come with a new scooter.

If the scooter really only has 100 miles on it (check the tires to verify this), and you already know the batteries are bad, there isn't much else to check. The tires and brakes should be okay and the various electrical components wouldn't be worn unless there was a problem. If you can turn it on and ride it, that would indicate that most of the components are functioning. I'd make sure it can take a charge, but that's about all I can think of.

hope this helps and good luck,
tedd

shutrbug
Re: Question about buying a used eGo 2 Classic

Tedd, thanks for the info on the going rate for the used eGos. I don't mind paying a fair price for purchases, but almost $1000 for a model with dead batteries does seem excessive. Unfortunately, I'm out of town this weekend, but I'll let you know how I fair if it's still available when I get back home next week.

-shutrbug

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage