Charger problem

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Overload
Charger problem

Twice now when I've tried to charge my z20 overnight, the fused outlet I hook the bike up to has popped. I know this because my house alarm is connected to the same plug, and I get a call whenever the alarm power goes off.

Ideas?

Overload in Colorado

Weee
Re: Charger problem

Don't mean to get off discussing Overload's problem, but I also have a charger problem that I'll post here instead of starting another topic about Z-20 chargers.

I have blown out 2 EVTA OEM controllers, and both times were during charging immediately after a ride (one was <5 miles, one was over 15 miles). Is it just crappy EVTA controllers blowing out, or is there something with the charger that might be the problem? Both controllers were charged and used several times before blowing out during the final charge.

Thanks for any ideas/help on this.

ev-motion

Hi, I have a Z-20 and a few other electric scooters.

From my experience, grounding is an important aspect to the chargers.

I have blown a few chargers from other scooters not following good grounding rules. I blew one charger by not using a properly grounded outlet strip.

I also blew a charger by plugging in the scooter to the charger and then the charger to the wall. Each time it has taken me a while to replace the power FETs and related components.

Check your grounding(one of those 3 light socket testers), the other devices on the circuit, and if the fuse is blown on the charger. If the fuse is blown, your probably looking at shorted power FETs and needing a new charger.

On my Z-20, the charging seems to fine(no odd inrush currents, etc.).

fcherny

Hi Weee,

My knowledge of electronics is shallow but slowly growing. As far as I understand it, changing the batts should have no effect on the controller - that is, it should be completely harmless - unless the ignition is left on. Since this happened both times just after a ride, is it possible you failed to turn the ignition off before charging? Or, if you did turn it off, is it possible there's a bit of 'play' in the ignition switch such that it could look like you switched it off but it was actually left on? Andy has warned us against changing the bike while the ignition is on. So it's the first thing I thought of.

Fred.

Weee

Thanks for the reply, Fred.

I'm positive that the ignition was off and that the breaker was also flipped off before charging. I've become acutely aware of this as it has been mentioned multiple times on this board. It's bizarre that the controller is not burning out during long, hilly rides, but during charging.

I must say that the rides leading up to the charging were somewhat hilly. However, nothing to write home about. I'd say all the hills were at a less than 8% grade and all 1/2 a mile long or less. (There is a marked 10% grade hill near my house, so I am estimating the grade based on that.)

Anyway, I have another EVTA controller in transit to me. I hope it will last longer than the rest, but I'm not holding my breath. If this one doesn't work, it's time to do my BBB write-up on EVTA and move on to an after market solution.

mopedbrainy

Overload , you mention "..the fused outlet.."?What kind of fuse THERMAL ,THERMISTOR or you meant simple circuit breaker? If you household uses circuit breakers you may try to find out if the one serving the outlet is 10 amps or 20 and also how much load is on the portion it governs .ex . a/c unit , refrig. water heater ,etc

Overload

This is a standard 110v outlet with a reset(fuse) and test buttons in the middle. A GFCI outlet like the one pictured here:

http://www.acmehowto.com/howto/homemaintenance/electrical/gfci.php

I also have one in my bathroom. These are also connected to another standard outlet, and both go off if the resettable fuse blows. My alarm is connected to the same outlet as the EVTA recharger. Nothing else is on the same circuit.

Overload in CO

Overload in CO

mopedbrainy

STILL, if prefer using the term , FUSE(Circuit breaker)BOX - where all the breakers are .Go to the box, find one similar in nature ( 10, 20 or 30 amps) and switch them .See what happen next.Electronic components change value with time.A circuit breaker is also mechanic.

rydnseek
rydnseek's picture

sounds like the gfci is popping, not an overload problem.. I don't know why,unless somehow you're 'leaking' through the ground somewhere. It doesn't take much to blow a gfci. Try an experiment.. run an extension cord from a non gfci plug & see if it works. Sometimes the cheap chinese chargers aren't wired very good, either.. it might be popping the gfci, & if the gfci isn't wired to just blow that outlet, it will take out the whole circuit.. at least everything past that gfci.

Have you used that plug much? Sometimes those gfci outlets don't get wired right, & the first time they're used they blow. Plug a drill or a saw into the outlet to check it.

Since it's blowing the whole circuit, another possibility is there is already a lot on it. A big string charger draws a lot of current at first.. It might be putting that circuit over the edge. Again, try plugging in somewhere else.

Good luck & tell us what the problem is, when you find it.

scotty

scotty, Sedona, Az
xm-3000 60v, 38ah silicones, since 7/08
quazar 48v, 12x12ah, since '05
5- vector 2/6/10 bank chargers

Overload

rydnseek,
I believe you're correct. Both the GFCI in my house are a bit skittish. I guess my question was what would cause the recharger to pop the GFCI? I believe it's charging up the Z20 batteries all the way before blowing the GFCI. I charge the Z20 turned off with its fuse popped.

I'll try the extension cord idea and see what happens.

thanks,

Overload in CO

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage