charger question

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
gushar
charger question

Recently I dropped my charger for my 48v XB600 scoot. It wasn't any significant distance just a slight 4-5 inch drop. Anyway, haven't noticed any potential problem until yesterday. The charger seems to be charging with no problem. But, I just happened to be near it when it went into fully charged mode and the green light came on....and when this happened the power and charge light pulsed about 10 times and I heard an almost "clicking" type sound. Then, it stopped and the lights stayed on, power red...charge green...just like they are supposed to. It was that "pulsing" and sound that got my attention. Maybe this is normal. It just seems like I've been close to the charger before when it went off charge status...and I never remember that sound and "pulsing." When I say pulsing I mean the lights go dim and back bright farily quickly with a clicking sound each time they pulse that way. I counted at least 10-15 of those pulses before the lights stayed normal. And this started once the green light came on...almost immediately. Anybody know if this is "normal?" It seems to be charging fine...but it makes me wonder if when I dropped it recently the shock might have damaged something?

Any info appreciated! Wondering if I'm going to be replacing a charger soon!

Gushar

hyperob
hyperob's picture
Re: charger question

Hey Gushar,

Mine is a little bit different in that the red light doesn't stay on it just goes to green when its fully charged. But mine does make a sound and then shuts down the little fan in the back of the unit. I can't remember it making a long series of clicking sounds but it does make a sort of "changeover" sound and then everything stops exept for the green light.

I don't know if its communicating are error status of somekind in your case but if it doesn't seem to be affecting the charge, I wouldn't think it would be too much trouble since its only job is to charge the batteries.

If I hear anything else I will let you know.

hyperob

gushar

Yours doesn't have two lights...one that stays red all the time to indicate the charger is plugged to power...and the other which is the charge indicator?

It seems to me that mine use to just change the ONE charge light to green and the fan would shut down as you described once the batteries are charged. But now it's doing that pulsing of both lights and clicking sound...right when the charge light turns green. It does that a few times and then stops with the usual power light red and the charge light green...as it's supposed to do.

Gushar

Gus

hyperob
hyperob's picture

Mine does have the two lights but when its charged the red light goes off and the green light stays on. I guess it turns itself off.

That is strange....Have you checked each battery for voltage? Maybe its trying to tell you something? If nothing has come loose in the unit since you dropped it I wouldn't think that its something that has to do with such a small drop. Thats not much force to break something like that. If it did I would expect it just to stop working.

hyperob

gushar

Wow...thought I replied but it doesn't show here after half hour or so. I'll try again.

Doesn't your charger have two lights...one that's always red to indicate that there is power to the charger...and the actual charge light that starts out red and turns green when the batteries are charged?

I've been listening to the charger because it also has a hum or buzzing that I don't recall was there. I think it's the "transformer" (big square component with copper winds covered in some plastic covering) that's on the board. I opened the case to take a look and there is what I think to be a transformer on the circuit board and I've heard they can suddenly start to hum or buzz...especially cheap ones. That might explain the noise I hear...but not that clicking and pulsing that happens at the end of the charge cycle. Of course that sound may also be coming from that transformer. Who knows...it may be going south. Maybe just the minor shock of that short drop might have damaged it somehow??? Guess I'll continue to use it as long as it charges...but it does concern me with overcharging issues, etc. Who knows???

Gushar

Gus

gushar

That is strange that on yours the power light actually goes off once the charge is complete...with only the green light staying on. From day one the power light has stayed on with mine...as long as the charger is plugged to an outlet. For example I'll go and check and both lights will be red...and then at some point the charge is complete and the charge light goes to green...but the red power light is always on as well. But the fan has shut down, etc.

Curious...

Gushar

Gus

hyperob
hyperob's picture

Yeah, It is a bit curious. I just chalk it up to manufacturing dicrepencies. I mean these are not what you would call industrial units.

Mine does do a little humming if I put my ear close to the unit but nothing too serious. I can't hear it over the fan though as it charges. If the batteries check out okay then I would wait it out. ecrazyman on ebay has a compatible charger that is cheaper than the x-treme charger. The difference I can see is they don't even bother with the english translation. All the lettering is in Chinese.

mopedbrainy

mine has two separate lights but only one stayed lit-either green or red- since it was delivered .Last weekend it burnt out.It was the biggest gray resistor closest to the output-could not make out the color bars since almost melted the solid state board thruout .So the smart capability of turning green when not connected to batteries or fully charged was lost until a variable resistor unit with a nob - similar to a volume control unit-was soldered in and it is working fine now except the green light stays on as long as it is plugged in the batt pack.Since another unit(CHARGER) was ordered right away along with a 20 amp batt for the mod , the value of the resistor burnt soon would be known.and ultimately replaced. See how it works after wards.

mopedbrainy

well Trying to insert pics of the new charger did not go wellPicture_3__3_.jpgPicture_3__4_.jpgPicture_4.jpg In Any case : one charger (stock) compatible battery set: Lead Battery 48V 17/20 Ah. The replacement is " Suitable for 48V 12 Ah Battery charge procedures . My ticket was just opened today lets wait for tech support's answer.

mopedbrainy

Well,it seems to me, my humble opinion or my own perception that tech support was unsympathetic to my quest of finding out the intended rate output of the charger just bought from them.scan0001.png The quest was due the suggestion of a cousin of mine that the lowest the amperage place on the batteries' charging , the least they would cook in the long run . Not quite trickle charge but if having the choice ...Any input ? Wisdom comes from applying whatever little knowledge at hand we may have and foolishness form having lots of it inert .On the positive side the new charge alleges suitability for 12v 12Ah batteries wile the stock one seems not.

gushar

My charger (I have XB600) looks like the picture on the left..."KJ-2 CE MADE IN CHINA" on it. On the underside there is a label that states "suitable for 48v 20 ah charging procedures." And under that there are a list of charging instructions and cautions. There is also a small label on it that has "EC40 48V" and underneath some Chinese and a number. Seems to me if it states "12ah" for the suitable charging that would be the charger for the XB500. I wonder if the charger is really the same and they just put the "suitable" info on there to go with specific scooters...but it really has the same output?

Gushar

Gus

mopedbrainy

May be the sticker gummed on is what makes it suitable.The first response-from tech- referred to a controller and the second totally indifferent to my question.scan0003.pngscan0003.pngThe response was so concise as to not stir the pot. boloney and bread or bread and boloney makes the same sandwich . In any case the stock charger was repaired and works fine.scan0003.pngscan0003.pngscan0003.pngscan0002.png

mopedbrainy

ups!Picture_4__3_.jpgPicture_4__2_.jpg Now the resistor fixingPicture_4__1_.jpgPicture_4__1_.jpg The output has been measured and it is within parameters thought the green stays on as long as it is plugged to battery -even if unplugged from AC outlet.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage