Lithium Ion batteries

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
rooster
Lithium Ion batteries

I wonder if you guys can advise me?

I have an 8 week old LiFePO4 battery, that behaved perfectly until yesterday, when suddenly the reading dropped dramatically to the extent that there was NO power available at all.

I struggled home, pedalling, with panniers bulging with shopping, put the battery on charge but noticed after some time, while usually the charger light stays red when charging, with the hum of a fan, then switches to red/green, indicating nearly charged, then finally all green to disconnect.

This time however, the battery climbed very quickly in the volt window, which seemed odd, then just stopped, with the red light still on??

I switched on the battery and the controller but there was no life in the LED´s on the throttle at all?

So, does this indicate a cell has gone down, which would represent no power available at all and cause the charger to malfunction?

I´ve had 8 weeks of pure fun, that I hope is only halted temporarily!

I would appreciate any input you guys can give please.

Rooster

reikiman
reikiman's picture
Re: Lithium Ion batteries

Where did you get the pack? Is it a duct tape pingping pack?

dogman
dogman's picture

Could be a fried bms if it has one, I'd start by checking each cell voltage and all the connections.

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

vbera

Again, WHERE did you buy your Li-ON batteries from?

There are a lot of "made in China/USA" LION batteries just starting to come unto the market!!, but any that DO NOT come with a SUBSTANTIAL WARRANTY for the $2000 or $3000 battery set etc., would surely be suspect as being "inferior quality"!! or "rip-offs"!!

The ONLY Li-ON battery sets that I've come across todate that have a substantial warranty {i.e. At least a 3 year warrnty!!}, is from
Please take a quick minute to review us at www.FoxxPower.com
============

It also seems that several companies [See URL http://ilbcnu.org/file_share/LiFePO4_Intr_0E1.9.pdf]
are waging a PATENT WAR over various features of the newest {safest} form of Li-ON batteries, known as:

--------------

I've also come across Nilar NiMH 24v battery packs @ 9AmpHrs each {www.nilar.com}, with advertized 2000 cycle life, BUT not sure of their price, availabilty, OR MANUFACTURE WARRANTY!!

For now, for my EVT-4000e 1500w 48v scooter, the 44Amphr Battery set from (local) INTERSTATE BATTERIES @ $120 each x 4, or the 50Amphr battery set from (mail order) @ $145 each x 4, both with expectations of (perhaps) 300 full charge/discharge cycles; seems to be the best buy!!

Until the current 3rd generation battery manufactures come up with a battery set that will fit well into my battery space, with (say) increased Amphrs of (perhaps) 60 Amphrs or more!, then the meager savings of 60 or 70lbs of weight for a $2000-2500 [expensive, but perhaps 2000 cycle life] LION battery set of 40 or 45Amphrs, DOES NOT make much economic sense without a sure 3 to 5 year warranty!!

P.S. INTERSTATE batteries have a good trak record with me!! My Golf cart size 220amphr set lasted approx. 5 years in my solar powered home!!, before I felt that it degraded to approx. 65% capacity!!; and then I gradually switched over to their larger HC_L16's with 3x the expected charge/discharge cycles!!

Vincent
================

rooster

I appreciate all the input from you guys, thanks.

Unfortunately, I imported the built bike from the USA and I live in Spain. While the battery certainly does have a warranty that guarantees repair or replacement, the cost of returning the battery to the States is horrendous and the same for its return!

That is why I asked if anyone had experienced a similar problem, in the forlon hope that I could avoid the hassle and expense of this unforeseen problem?

The language barrier here makes it a bit more difficult as well.

I intend to change to trusty SLA batteries, while I try to find a company that can help with the repair of the LiFePO4.

I am certainly no expert on these systems but I am trying to understand the cofigurations, etc. The absorption power of the brain diminishes with age, I´m afraid but I want to enjoy the move to a greener planet (and save money, of course!)

One other apprehension I have is that, in my ignorance, thinking a fuse may have have blown, I attempted to inspect the inside of a silver connector on the bike. I could not unplug the two halves.

One half had a threaded part with a thin nut, which was loose, and a spring loaded collar, even though the "sleeves" of the connector appeared to twist easily. I learnt that it is the Hall effect sensors 5 pin connector and pray I have not damaged the delicate wires by gently twisting the sleeves a little? Having said that, I found that they are male and female connecting pins, so should be fine.

I guess I will know when I eventually "fire-up" again and wait for the dreaded vibration!

I had 8 weeks of absolute pleasure, then zero!! Must not give up!!

I hope I am being too paranoid? I am trying to find another English speaking enthususiast in my area to share experiences with.

Any more comments would be appreciated, thanks again.

rooster

Dave-s

Hello Rooster,
Maybe if you add a few photos of the battery's internals (if possible), the controller, the hall effect sensor, the wiring and the motor people here will be able to give you better advice.
I'm not sure that the battery is at fault.

rooster

Hi Dave-s,
the battery and the charger, are in fact, winging their way back to the States. I found a much less expensive method of transportation.
There were some raised eyebrows when I said the word "battery" but they OK´d it when I explained that LiFePO4 is reasonably new technology and declared non-hazardous.
I would not have been able to take pictures of the internals, because to have opened it up would have negated the warranty!
Thanks for your input.

rooster

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Persival
  • boomingheight
  • janet
  • Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57

Support V is for Voltage