XM-3000 role-call and a simple trouble shooting guide

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture
XM-3000 role-call and a simple trouble shooting guide

If you have an XM-3000 or have one on order would you mind posting to this thread your current status. Like:

- did you get the bike yet?
- did it have damage?
- was the damage cosmetic (didn't affect the riding but requires replacement body panels from X-Treme)?
- was the damage more serious (broken safety equipment, bent metal work, something that means you don't want to ride it)?
- is your bike operable?
- how far have you ridden so far?

From my experiences (as an X-Treme dealer - I'm not the importer) I sold 13 bikes. I've heard from 6 folks - 2 have serious problems and 4 have no problems or minor cosmetic problems. For the other seven folks I'm assuming they also have no problems or minor problems. So, until I follow up and get more info I'd say things were reasonably successful for the launch of this new bike. Do folks agree or disagree with that?

For my two unlucky customers who had bad problems we're currently taking care of them via X-Treme's support ticket process. One guy's bike was severely damaged during shipping, the other guy's bike stopped working after riding only one block.

For the bike that doesn't respond to the throttle I put together the following troubleshooting page: http://www.revevllc.com/troubleshoot.php Any constructive criticism or feedback would be most appreciated!

FWIW, my bike was delivered with no damage at all - until I scratched it getting it off that infernal metal packing frame!!! Oh well.

So far I do think that the XM-3000 is a decent step forward from the XM-2000. One thing that was a pleasant surprise is that they're using good copper wire for the power circuit (batteries and motor) this time around (rather than the rather questionable stuff they used last time!).

Happy riding!

rydnseek
rydnseek's picture
Re: XM-3000 role-call and a simple trouble shooting guide

Mine arrived on 7/7/08
bent packing frame, crack in rear housing, right rear blinker broken off, rear fender mount broken.
Parts were loose inside crate, some things lost.. only 1 handguard, no manual, maybe other stuff i don't know about? Charger doesn't seem to work, either.
all cosmetic.. bike runs great!
I've got about 30km in the last couple of days. I'm keeping the batteries charged with some vectors i got for bank charging.. The voltages are pretty close.

I'm pleasantly surprised at how smoothly it runs.. it coasts great. I don't know if any regen kicks in.. i can't feel or hear it engage when touching the brakes.

I'm planning on a longer, ~10mi ride soon.. that will check the range some. I'm only running it in low speed mode. I'm hoping the mvd in Az will consider it a low speed vehicle, or a neighborhood electric vehicle. I'll check with them when the title papers come.

scotty

scotty, Sedona, Az
xm-3000 60v, 38ah silicones, since 7/08
quazar 48v, 12x12ah, since '05
5- vector 2/6/10 bank chargers

jludwi2

Mine arrived today.

Problems:
About a 2-3 inch gash in the panel under the right floorboard.
Right Front Turn signal was hanging by it's cord. The top of it (connecting to the screw) had broken off. :( I got a slightly longer screw and managed to attach it.
It didn't come with any papers, maybe they come in the mail?

I've only gone very slow, very short distances yet, of course (battery initialization), but it runs great and quiet.

I have no idea how to get access to the batteries to attach wires for bank. So far, I'm using the string charger (Kingpan KP-A, 5 amps, 60V).

Compared to my Elite-80 Honda, it's very nice, but won't go as far or as fast, I expect.

Mine's blue.

sparc5
sparc5's picture

Hi John,

My bike came in perfect working order, perfect cosmetic condition. Tires just needed 10psi more.

Problem 1: DC-DC converter fuse pulled apart inside fuse holder.
Resolution 1: Replaced it and placed the wire where it won't get pulled on and it worked again.

Problem 2: DC-DC converter gets very hot and emits sequel if the brights are on for half an hour.
Resolution 2: Added a 12V CPU fan to the heat sink.

Will get back to you on range, I'm working on developing a bank charger to pamper the GreenSavers, sadly the company doesn't respond to my e-mails. Neither does X-Treme, I'd like to get my registration papers some time this month.

-=Jeff=-

XM-3000...
-DC-DC converter replaced with a Dell D220P-01 power supply.
-72V mod
-Expensive bank charger until I come up with something better... Still trying.
-

mrladderman
mrladderman's picture

my bike xm-3000 just had the kick panels that got damaged in shipping. they are on the way to my house now. x-treme took care of the service ticket fast!!! front tire needed 25 psi. the steel frame that the bike came in had 3 wheels busted off.and bent up a little.all parts came with the bike and its running great. got it up to 45pmh on flat ground today.

402-603-4445 push #3 button talk to customer care. i had to ask them to send me the registration (paper work) and give them all the info on the bike.

x-treme sends out 11,000 bikes EVERY 3 weeks, so i guess they are a little busy.

321 km in 8 days

Rich O.

LeThala
LeThala's picture

Hey John,

I got my bike through you. It arrived on July 2nd with a big gash on the right side by the floor but otherwise in good condition. I opened a ticket with x-treme this week to have the part replaced. I rode it some over the July 4th weekend but my work schedule since then has not given me time to break in the batteries properly so I'm still driving to work. I got the bike primarily for commuting to work which is 12 to 14 miles each way depending on my route.

I love your troubleshooting page. I especially like the information about which wire is which and how to test the hall effect sensors.

There's nothing worse than the feeling you get when you turn the throttle and nothing happens. I had two false alarm scares already. The first was before I knew about the ciruit breaker switch under the seat. The scooter arrived with that in the off position. The second was when I tested the bike with center stand down after wiring the batteries for bank charging. I didn't realize the kickstand was down. lol Reading your page first would have saved me a few moments of panic. :)

John

Salidwyn

Hey John, I was one of the people who ordered a bike through you that you haven't heard from yet. I got my scooter Wednesday (the 2nd) while I was at work and it was raining and I left for vacation that night and it didn't stop raining until we were on the road the next night. So I'm in Key West and the scooter is sitting in the garage until I get back on Monday. I looked it over and didn't see any cosmetic issues but I'll take a closer look at that back panel. I wasn't the one who unpacked it but it seems like the three people that did would have noticed it and said something so I think it's ok. The only thing I didn't see was the paperwork anywhere but I'm not sure if that was taped to the carton and might have become firewood for those who unpacked it. Seems like I'm not the only one without paperwork though.

I will say that the scooter was a bit bigger than I was expecting and isn't dwarfed too terribly much next to my dad's Goldwing in the garage. I'm excited about it though! And your service was WONDERFUL! I'll update you more on Monday or Tuesday!

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

Salidwyn - check out my other post about the MCO - you need to call to get the paperwork.

Everyone - The XM-3000 does NOT have regen braking. Apparently this feature was on early prototypes and made it's way into the specs posted on a lot of sites. However, the feature was removed on the production models.

Re-gen on a small scooter (and most likely even on the Vectrix) isn't really very effective - there's not as much mass therefore there's not as much energy that can be recovered to recharge batteries. One gentleman claims that re-gen on an XM-3000 sized bike only resulted in two thousandth's of a percent increased range (not sure how he measured that - but that's his statement).

Sorry for the misinformation - mistakes do happen. I've removed the erroneous info from my website.

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

tabloid

I am the "lurker" that John referred to, so here I am as an official member now! Mine arrived in Norfolk, VA last Thursday (1 week ago). Minor scraping on both side floorboards where it had been rubbing against the metal frame it was shipped in, but no significant damage to the plastic. (I really should try asking for replacement panels, huh?) Absolutely no problems with it yet. Have put on around 40km according to the odometer. The one thing I've noticed already is that the key I'm using has already twisted along it's length. I'm certain this is from opening up the seat compartment. I stopped at my local Home Depot at lunchtime today and told them "It's similar to a older Ford key, can you cut one?" "Sure" she says, "what does it fit?" I replied it was for my motorcycle (okay, that's a little bit of a stretch, but not too far!) "Oh, we don't cut Motorcycle keys". Go figure.... I'll find a real locksmith somewhere that will cut this.

I'm a big boy (6'3", 250 lbs) and look like a bear on a circus bicycle, but I am very impressed with how fast this bugger can move. According to the factory speedo in this, I was able to hit 42mph on level ground. Tomorrow will be my first day using it as a commuter back and forth to work.

I have already ordered a set of 5 Vector 2-4-6 chargers to set up bank charging on mine, and will also outfit it with a BattEq when the new generator 5-battery sets are in production. I have also ordered the stand-alone version of the Cycle Analyst, hopefully all of my new toys will be arriving next week while I'm gone on vacation.

Any ideas on making the luggage rack functional? I'm thinking of just strapping on a plastic milk carton container, but that's tacky. I don't really plan on carrying much with it, but want the option should I need it. I will be carrying my charger under the seat until the Vector units arrive and I can set up the bank charging - then I will leave the string charger at work and do bank charging at the house.

I will be calling my insurance carrier in the morning (Nationwide) to see what kind of coverage they can give me on this. I will be certain to report back the results after talking with them.

(No longer) XM3K, Bank charging using Vector 2-4-6 smart chargers, Cycle Analyst
Official member of the "I laid it down and I felt stupid" club

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

just strapping on a plastic milk carton container, but that's tacky.

Well, that confirms what I expected - I'm tacky! I just do the plastic crate thing with bungee cords. A friend took one step further and at least attached the plastic crate onto plywood and firmly attached the plywood to the rack. Is that tacky or not? ;-)

Glad you decided to post :-)

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

MikeB

Any ideas on making the luggage rack functional?

I have a GIVI brand trunk box on my current gas scooter, and the same trunk on the previous gas scooter. It's a really nice thing to have additional waterproof and lockable storage space, and it gives you a place to mount additional brake lights and reflectors for visibility. GIVI makes a number of racks that are specific to a bike, but also has a universal rack. I don't know if it'll work, but it would be worth looking into.

My electric vehicle: CuMoCo C130 scooter.

Mountain chen

Salidwyn - check out my other post about the MCO - you need to call to get the paperwork.

Everyone - The XM-3000 does NOT have regen braking. Apparently this feature was on early prototypes and made it's way into the specs posted on a lot of sites. However, the feature was removed on the production models.

Re-gen on a small scooter (and most likely even on the Vectrix) isn't really very effective - there's not as much mass therefore there's not as much energy that can be recovered to recharge batteries. One gentleman claims that re-gen on an XM-3000 sized bike only resulted in two thousandth's of a percent increased range (not sure how he measured that - but that's his statement).

Sorry for the misinformation - mistakes do happen. I've removed the erroneous info from my website.

Correct,see Tracy's post on Feb,2008 http://visforvoltage.org/forum/2868-modifying-mountains-controller ,we have ability to do REGEN brake,but it is needless,simple always more reliable...

sgmdudley

My solution to storage, from Lowes Hardware.
Zapino_side1.jpg

Robert Dudley
E-Scoot Tech

Zapdos
XM-3000 Charger - Serious safety concern

After a couple of weeks owning this I was starting to get shocked from the case of the charger. After a little investigation it became obvious that the case of this unit was NOT connected to the AC Ground wire. This is a serious situation when it comes to the possibility of a serious shock. In fact the case of mine seemed to be connected to nothing. ~MAYBE~ it's just my unit, but I suspect not. Please everyone check to see if you have continuity between the case of your charger and the AC Ground of the input. If you need any help in checking this please let me know.

As for the Role Call

Received mine is good condition
Ran for 3 days, 130 Kilometers - then it died
Found a hall sensor to be defective.
Opened the hub motor and realized the wiring was really poor quality and the Hall Sensor mounting substandard.
Replaced ALL Hall Sensors, devised a better sensor mounting (on small PC board), replaced sensor wiring with teflon insulated 24 gauge wire, re-sleeved sensors wiring through the axle for better protection.

XM-3000 is now working good again. Commuted to work, 16 miles on Thursday and it ran just fine.. I've ran it a good 25 miles since the repair work and I believe it should remain reliable for a while...

However, once I PROPERLY grounded the case of the charger it died. PLEASE be careful with this charger! I am very concerned that they didn't properly ground the metal case on any of these and it could be a very serious hazard!

tabloid

(I'm apologize in advance for posting this in the wrong topic - but I don't know how to move it!)

Ugh - made the phone call to my insurance carrier late last week, only to find that my regular "agent" is on vacation and won't arrive back until tomorrow. I did quiz the young lady that answered the telephone whether they could provide "MOPED" insurance - she replied no. I then asked about motorcycle insurance, now I get a positive answer but she couldn't go any further without guidance from my regular agent (I guess this young lady was just a receptionist). I can see this is gonna be fun, between insurance and my DMV. I did receive my MCO, so at least I am ready to go to battle now....

(No longer) XM3K, Bank charging using Vector 2-4-6 smart chargers, Cycle Analyst
Official member of the "I laid it down and I felt stupid" club

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage