xm-3000 voltmeter

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
LeThala
LeThala's picture
xm-3000 voltmeter

I got a Sunpro voltmeter from my local auto supply store and a six position rotary switch from radio shack and intalled them in the cutouts under the seat of my xm-3000. The meter happens to be a perfect fit over the cutout. Once I get it wired up I'll be able to check the voltage on each battery individually just by a turn of the dial. The voltmeter even lights up so I can read it in the dark. The batteries are numbered in the order they are wired with the battery closest to the front of the scooter being number one. The sixth position of the switch leaves the meter disconnected from all the batteries and turns the light off. Pretty neat, huh? The switch will be wired to the batteries through a connector so the seat compartment won't be tied to the batteries. I moved the circuit breaker out from inside the compartment for the same reason. I have it taped to the side of a battery for now until I rig a mounting bracket for it.

John

IMG_0168.jpg

Mik
Mik's picture
Re: xm-3000 voltmeter

Good idea.

Only problem might be that significant differences between battery voltages will be hard to see on that meter. (Apparently a few 10th of a Volt difference is bad)

The much larger voltage sag under load would be easier to see (if you already have a bad battery), but not whilst sitting on it, of course...

Mr. Mik

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

sgmdudley

The PAKTRAKR monitors total pack voltage, individual battery voltage, temperature where the remote device is located, amps, KWatts, and some other functions I have not checed out. The LCD display is backlit so I can see it at night. It is mounted right on my handlebar so I can see it while drving. In the Individual Battery mode, it scrolls thru each battery continuously (with a pause at each one) so you can read each battery voltage as you drive. There is an option you can buy that allows you to connect via serial port to a computer so you can download battery performance data.
There are some posts in the battery and Chargers area of "V" that have pictures posted of the battery statistics recorded by the Paktrakr.
new_zapino_dash.jpg
wiring.jpg
This view shows the terminal strip I added for Bank Charging which is where I connected the pactrakr. The remote pickup is located just to the rear of the terminal strip, alongside the top battery. That is where I am picking up the temperature.

Robert Dudley
E-Scoot Tech

LeThala
LeThala's picture

Only problem might be that significant differences between battery voltages will be hard to see on that meter. (Apparently a few 10th of a Volt difference is bad)

That's a good thought. I was only thinking about checking the general charge level but you gave me an idea. I'll add a pair of contact points to make measurement with a DVM easy. The switch will control which battery is connected to the contacts and having an off position will protect against accidental shorts. Thanks for the feedback.

John

rydnseek
rydnseek's picture

Looks cool, John! It would have been nice to have it visible when riding, so you could check a particular battery under load, but it will give you the basics, at a lot less than a paktrakr! It will be nice to just keep an eye on the bank.. both after a ride & after charging. Hopefully, these batteries will last a few years, but a little info as to what they're doing will certainly help.

scotty, Sedona, Az
xm-3000 60v, 38ah silicones, since 7/08
quazar 48v, 12x12ah, since '05
5- vector 2/6/10 bank chargers

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage