Scooter odometer/speedometers

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
tomwible
Scooter odometer/speedometers

I have a Stealth 1000 Currie scooter with 12" wheels. Would a standard bicycle odometer work like the ones at Walmart?
Thanks,

-Tom

LinkOfHyrule
LinkOfHyrule's picture
Re: Scooter odometer/speedometers

The one I got from Wal-Mart can be calibrated to any wheel size, so, assuming you can put the sensor and magnet close enough, yes.

The author of this post isn't responsible for any injury, disability or dismemberment, death, financial loss, illness, addiction, hereditary disease, or any other undesirable consequence or general misfortune resulting from use of the "information" contai

tomwible

That's what I was wondering was if the unit could be calibrated for such a small wheel.
Thanks!
-Tom

nasukaren
nasukaren's picture

It really depends on the cycle computer. With tiny wheels, the RPM is so high that the cheaper ones can't keep up.

There are really high-end cycle computers for people who inline skate (imagine the rpm on those!), so you just have to shop around. A good local bike shop should be able to sell you one -- as well as let you know before you buy it what the max and min tire sizes are.

If all fails, you could calibrate it so that you double or triple the circumference of your 12" tire. and enter that length into the computer, then you'd have to do the mental math yourself, halving or thirding the displayed speed to get your actual speed.

Working on a Piaggio Boxer (mo-ped) EV conversion: http://gpsy.com/ev

LinkOfHyrule
LinkOfHyrule's picture

The instructions for the one I have has numbers for wheels down to 12", IIRC. I was using an even cheaper ($10) one on a 20" going 30mph. It was funny to see how fast the ODO clicked when I was up to full speed.

The author of this post isn't responsible for any injury, disability or dismemberment, death, financial loss, illness, addiction, hereditary disease, or any other undesirable consequence or general misfortune resulting from use of the "information" contai

superryo

Which one did you buy? I picked up a wireless one but the gap between the transmitter and the magnet is too far (greater than 1mm) and it doesn't work.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage