What is Pennsylvania ACTUALLY saying here?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Craftkiller
What is Pennsylvania ACTUALLY saying here?

Hey, i've been looking into possibly purchasing a XB-600 and modding it (following in the footsteps of zerogas) but I'm not completely settled on actually getting one. I was looking through the PA fact sheet and saw this part that confused me:

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/fs-momo.pdf
MOPED
DEFINITION: A motor-driven cycle equipped with operable pedals, a motor rated no more than 1.5 brake
horsepower, a cylinder capacity not exceeding 50 cubic centimeters, an automatic transmission,
and a maximum design speed of no more than 25 miles per hour, or an electric motor-driven
cycle equipped with operable pedals and powered by an electric battery.

Now when I read this, it tells me that if I have an electric moped theres no 25mph speed limit... I just need pedals and a battery, does this mean I could totally mod my moped to go as fast as possible with no problems?

penndot factsheep

penndot factsheep

penndot factsheep

penndot factsheep

penndot factsheep

penndot factsheep

penndot factsheep

Ray_T
Ray_T's picture
Re: What is Pennsylvania ACTUALLY saying here?

DEFINITION: A motor-driven cycle equipped with operable pedals, a motor rated no more than 1.5 brake
horsepower, a cylinder capacity not exceeding 50 cubic centimeters, an automatic transmission,
and a maximum design speed of no more than 25 miles per hour, or an electric motor-driven
cycle equipped with operable pedals and powered by an electric battery.

The placement of the word "or" in this description seems to indicate that a vehicle that meets any one of these requirements would be considered a moped in Pennsylvania.

PJD
PJD's picture

The numbered list below the paragraph you quoted seems to imply that the 25 mph speed applies to all mopeds.

But in practice, no cop is going to stop you if you are going faster, within reason.

The big distinction in Pennsylvania is that it needs pedals. Otherwise, it is a motorcycle or a motor driven cycle and requires a title, registration and insurance.

But, at least if it is a motor driven cycle of 5 hp or less and "automatic transmission" you don't need a M-class drivers license.

If you are registering it as a motor driven cycle, it is best of you simply don't tell the license agent it is electric. Just check the "less than 50cc box" and you will be telling the truth.

Craftkiller

thank you, thats very helpful =)

zerogas
zerogas's picture

Hey, Craftkiller.
Hop that scooter up, man! No cop is gonna stop you for going 28mph. LOL

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage