Riding a Vectrix

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
knabo
knabo's picture
Riding a Vectrix

I have put a couple of hundred miles on my Vectrix now and I must say this is the funnest bike I have ridden in a long time.

The center of gravity is so low that you don't lean into a turn as much as you sink into it.

It is a little stiff over bumps. My suspension is set at the middle position, so I don't know yet how changing this will affect the ride.

The windscreen does an okay job at deflecting the wind, but you still get significant buffeting at higher speeds.

I finally rode at night, and the headlight is brighter than I expected based on Mik's posts. It seems adequate. The high beam lit up the neighborhood nicely as well.

I find the mirrors very effective at showing what's behind me. I have heard less than stellar reports on their pointed shape, but they work great for me.

The bike is very stable. You can easily ride without holding the grips, although not recommended of course.

Signal lights are bright and easily seen.

I love regenerative braking. I does require you to shift your hand position a bit, but once you get used to it it becomes pretty natural. I do have the feeling I will be wearing out the grip eventually.

Since there is no weight on your hands, they don't go numb while riding. Your riding postion is more like sitting in a comfortable chair rather than on a bike. This may be typical for scooters, but I have only ridden motorcycles before the Vectrix.

The wife says that the passenger footpads could be a little longer, but otherwise riding as a passenger is very comfortable.

AndY1
AndY1's picture
Re: Riding a Vectrix

Thank you for this excellent report! I can't wait to get mine. By the way, how tall are you (in cm if you can ;-), that you get wind in your head? I'm 178cm.

knabo
knabo's picture

I am also 178cm

I will have to do some experimenting with the wind screen. I will raise and lower myself a bit to see when I am not behind the screen. I don't think my head is getting hit with wind so much.

I will get back to you...

Luther Burrell, Mesa, Arizona, USA
Rides: ZuumCraft from zuumcraft.com
Previous Rides: Blue Vectrix Maxi scooter

DaveD
DaveD's picture

Thanks for the report, knabo!

You're the first poster that I've seen mention about having a passenger aboard. How is the handling with a passenger?

AndY1
AndY1's picture

What kind of helmet do you use? I've had Yamaha R6 2003 before and I have a racing helmet. I've read somewhere and posted the link in some other thread, that the height of the rider (we two are already short enough ;-) ) and the helmet type, make a 15% difference on the aerodynamics drag. While I tested the Vectrix in Verona, I used my racing helmet and noticed no wind drag on the helmet. Maybe it's the type of the helmet that makes a difference?

Thank you for your wife's report about the passenger. The information will benefit me greatly, 'cos my girlfriend will also ride with me on the way to work and around.
What kind of mileage do you get with the passenger?

knabo
knabo's picture

Okay there are certain things I am not allowed to post when referring to my wife. I can say that she is nearly as tall as I am at 68inches (172cm) and apparently that is all I can say.

As far as riding with a passenger, It is very much like my experience on a larger motorcycle. They don't know how to lean, in fact they are always leaning the wrong way trying to get a look at the road ahead. (my wife sometimes talks to herself and makes whooping noises, maybe she is trying to get my attention but I am not listening)

With an adult passenger there is always going to be some balance and weight issues. I only really noticed them when coming to a stop, it took a bit longet to stop and I actually had to use my brakes a bit in addition to the regenerative braking. I did not notice any real difference in acceleration, but I am sure they probably exists. With my daughter on the back (she is almost 17 but smaller) I didn't have any issues.

I didn't do any scientific comparisons but I would say the range was reduced. If you plan on commuting with a passenger you are going to have to determine your range capability carrying the extra weight. Just as you would of you suddenly weighed 150 pounds more.

As far as helmets go I am wearing a full face HJC. It is probably a bit of overkill and it is kind of old. I am looking at getting a 3/4 type helmet in the future. I really like the looks of the Givi helmets actually but they are not in the US. Maybe I can make arangements with someone across the pond :)

Luther Burrell, Mesa, Arizona, USA
Rides: ZuumCraft from zuumcraft.com
Previous Rides: Blue Vectrix Maxi scooter

AndY1
AndY1's picture

I'm also using HJC helmet, LT-12 model, to be exact.

I'm sorry, if you understood me as if I was asking about your wife's weight :-) Actually I know the feeling of sensitivity of the matter, that's why avoided the weight issue as much as I could and only asked about the 'passenger' mileage ;-)

I know the leaning stuff with passenger. I've had passengers like that, fortunately my gf isn't one of them :D

Gusset

As far as helmets go I am wearing a full face HJC. It is probably a bit of overkill and it is kind of old. I am looking at getting a 3/4 type helmet in the future. I really like the looks of the Givi helmets actually but they are not in the US. Maybe I can make arangements with someone across the pond :)

Nah, stay with a full face helmet...your chin is important. :) The asphalt doesn't inquire as to what sort of bike you came off of when it hands out the hurt.

duca

We are used to "real" motorbikes (no pun to Vectrix intended) and the driving position is the only major issue I have with that scooter. My wife complains that she feels lost "back over there" and the position of the feet could be better. It's the first time I hear someone complain for actually having too much space on the back seat! :D

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage