Are these bikes big enough for tall riders?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
EdInPa
Are these bikes big enough for tall riders?

Hi, all -

There is no denying the green appeal of these scooters for my 5-ish mile commute, but being relatively tall and not having any way to try one on for size, I have some concerns about ending up with a ride that I don't quite fit on.

I'm 6-4 (inseam 34) and 210 lbs. Is there anyone out there this big who can comment on what I might expect? The 3K motor size, from what I have read, seems adequate for my weight. I'm concerned with physical size and whether my knees will even fit under the handlebars! (Plus I have this cartoon-like image in my mind of dwarfing this dinky bike, which is barely visible underneath me, as I scoot down the street...)

(I've read the 3500 is bigger than the 3000 and I do realize the 3500 is not out yet for people to try on for size.)

Thanks.

Ed

rydnseek
rydnseek's picture
Re: Are these bikes big enough for tall riders?

With the long seat, a taller person can slide back on the seat & stretch their legs out some. Your knees shouldn't hit the bars unless you have a rider, or are sitting on the front edge of the seat.

A 10 mi commute would be a walk in the park for these scooters.

I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam, & it doesn't feel too small at all, even with my wife riding on the back. I don't think it would be too small for a single rider even at 6'6".

good luck with your decision.

scotty, Sedona, Az
xm-3000 60v, 38ah silicones, since 7/08
quazar 48v, 12x12ah, since '05
5- vector 2/6/10 bank chargers

jstibal
Re: Are these bikes big enough for tall riders?

Ed,

I don't have an XM, but an EVT Z20 which I believe is very similar to the XM-2000. I'm 6'7" with a 34" inseam and 260lbs (probably more like 280 with gear). I have to sit back on the seat a bit, but at my weight I'm not going to be carrying any passengers anyway. I did bump the kill switch on the handlebar with my knee once when turning hard from a dead stop, but it's not a problem now that I know not to do it (I had the same problem with the headlight switch in a car I once borrowed from my dad).

The Z20 has a 2500w motor, and I can hold 35MPH on the flats at around 45A of current draw from the batteries when they're freshly charged and holding slightly above 60V. I pushed it to around 80A once (I installed a Kelly controller, so I can dial these things in) and was able to hold 37MPH. I'm betting with the bigger motor, less mass and possibly less wind resistance you'll do even better.

I regularly commute 12 miles to work on the 35AH 60V battery pack. I've made the return trip without recharging, but I was near 100% DOD when I got home. I prefer to keep trips to less than 20 miles without a recharge, and preferably 15-17mi (and that's with one battery that I know is going bad). I would think that 5 miles one way would be no problem at all.

As for appearance, I do look a bit big on it, but not freakishly so (looking freakish just comes natural).

Jon Stibal

Jon Stibal
2008 EVT America Z-20A
2011 CMC C130 - my daily driver:

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage