Hub motor replacement needed- recommendations?

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
mech701
Hub motor replacement needed- recommendations?

Well, it died! I have an Evader EV100S, with a modified shunt and 60v modification. Though I am sure the modifications contributed to the motor's untimely death, the motor has always run hot, uncomfortable to the touch after a long run. The shut down of the motor was nothing dramatic, just some relatively slow riding and it quit responding. I checked all of the connections and everything seemed tight. Voltage into the controller is about 65 volts. When I checked the voltage to the motor with the throttle cracked, it was the same as the pack voltage. To me, this indicates an open circuit back at the motor. Also, the motor spins much more freely than before the failure. Opening the motor to replace the brushes, assuming its the brushes, is possible but I have always felt this motor is marginal due to the temperature after a ride. I have about 500 miles on this setup.

I don't really want to scrap the bike for the lack of a motor but do not know all of the options. Electric Motorsport has the EVT hub motors available. The 1500w motor is going for $600, not a giveaway but might get me around 30 mph on 48v. I have not talked to EM about the actual performance. A downside of the EVT motor is that the hub is set up for a disc brake. The Evader rear brake is a drum.

XM has some reasonably priced motors but they are brushless. A motor, rim and controller would be needed but I have not priced them out. Opinions of this route?

Any opinions or suggestions for the replacement of the motor will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Les

JDELUNA
Re: Hub motor replacement needed- recommendations?

You can try this place. If you do try it, please let us know how it goes. Hope this helps. God Bless :)

http://www.novascooters.com/product.sc?categoryId=10&productId=10

ArcticFox
ArcticFox's picture

*bumped* - 'cause I see Mech701 on here. ;)

<table border="0" style="border:1px solid #999999; padding:10px;"><tr><td>
<a href="http://www.BaseStationZero.com">[img]http://visforvoltage.org/files/u419...
[size=1][color=black]www.[/color][color=#337799]BaseStationZero[/color][co

mech701

Well, it is confirmed! 2 of 4 brushes are worn to nothing and 1 brush holder is melted. I am still looking for alternates. The Nova controller/motor is more expensive than I want to spend tho you have to admire the completeness of their packages.

Regarding the XB600 60 volt modifications, did any of those folks confirm the 30 mph speed they were seeing on their speedometers? That is a 600 watt motor (@ 48 volts) with performance similar to my 1000 watt motor.

Les

mopedbrainy

Avg. 28 mph.Crouch a bit with negligible wind fact would reach 30 on flats.On turbo mode.

mech701

Confirmed with a GPS?

At 48v, my Evader ran 23 mph. At 60v, 28 mph. I confirmed my speeds with a GPS, which closely matched my speedometer. I recognize that not all motors are created equal and a 600 watt motor could be wound for the same speed as my 1000 watt motor. But there would be a tradeoff in torque. TANSTAAFL! (There ain't no such thing as a free lunch! -Heinlein)

Thanks!

Les

mopedbrainy

Relaying on several other vehicles' speedometers and asserted by xb-600's on 6ov with coat hanger trick. 22mph stock poor acceleration worst climbing than my Expresso S at 500 watt motor 48v 14Ah batt.Shameful on little bridges inclines!!

mech701

Thanks! Gotta love those shunt modifications!

-Les

mech701

Relative to the XB600, is the motor a 'single' speed?

The XM2K was a 2-speed, using a mechanical link to switch between the 2 sets of windings in the motor. How is that being done in the XM3K, which I understand is 'automatic'?

Thanks!

Les

mopedbrainy

Most owners don't seem to notice any change after 60v shun mod but if you put it on the stand and twist throttle half way and connect & DISCONNECT the gay wires'. connector up on the dashboard you'll notice a difference on speed's gauge .Most of them don't seem motivated to install a switch beforehand. Otherwise it needs two people to do the checking.It works for me ,saves me lots of juice and bike's reaches 30mph if the disconnect switch is activated after gaining enough speed.

mech701

Thanks! I think that is specific to the XB600. Unless there is something in the controller that must be activated, my scooter would be set up to have full power all of the time.

ArcticFox- you have mail!

-Les

mopedbrainy

Lucky you. Batteries and components become erratic down here where at midnight runs 84 degrees as well as before 8 o'clock in the morning.My controllers are riveted on aluminum plates and fans with uphill battle.Battery box pulled out and charged in front of the A/C.Which is about the only thing unwisely to run full power.

ArcticFox
ArcticFox's picture

ArcticFox- you have mail!

LOL! Thanks!

<table border="0" style="border:1px solid #999999; padding:10px;"><tr><td>
<a href="http://www.BaseStationZero.com">[img]http://visforvoltage.org/files/u419...
[size=1][color=black]www.[/color][color=#337799]BaseStationZero[/color][co

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage