Carrying cases

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
rontivo
Carrying cases

I picked up the kit from Vectrix needed to attach a carrying case to the back of the bike. In reading the posts here it sounds like others have attached cases, but it's not clear if anyone's done that using the kit provided from Vectrix. Any recommendations on specific cases? Givi is very popular, but are there others I should be looking at? I've got a blue Vectrix, does anyone have cases that will match that color, or should I go with a black box for aesthetics?

Thanks!
-Ron

knabo
knabo's picture
Re: Carrying cases

I have a Givi V46. As far as I can tell it is a Vectrix specific kit, there is a small body panel that was replaced for one with mounting holes.

The Givi does have a blue panel option but this was not available from my dealer. Plus I don't think the color matched exactly. From pictures I have seen the red matches nicely.

On my blue Vectrix I just got the black case, it matches the dark color of the seat and such. I think black would look fine on any color bike.

My daughter was using it as a backrest the other day on our ride. So I can say that it is pretty sturdy.

Luther Burrell, Mesa, Arizona, USA
Rides: ZuumCraft from zuumcraft.com
Previous Rides: Blue Vectrix Maxi scooter

Buzby
Buzby's picture

I use the V46 on my VX1 but my passenger says she has to 'lie' back to reach it - making this uncomfortable. Givi do two types of backrest supports that can attach to the V46, so I might invest in one of those!

- Raymond

Cavalho

Hi Ron,
I started a new thread on Top case without looking for existing threads. Silly me.
I wonder if you have gotten any further with your search ?

The adapter that I saw on Mik's ride is nothing like what Vectrix sent me. Their kit is a color matching replacement of the mid rear body part (over the backlight) with 4 holes. An added bracket (sturdy black plastic) nicely fits in the holes and bolds on tightly. The bracket has an overhang of roughly 4". Interesting to note that Vectrix packed the kit in a box that was upreviously used to ship a GIVI colour panel.

I have a topcase on another bike, and that bracket looks very different. I don't see a topcase clicking onto the Vectrix bracker without some additional part.
As for esthetics, Color matching is way more classy than black. But a black box is way more practical than none.

Cheers
Cavalho

Morrison

How do you order the brackets from Vectrix? I cannot find anything on the Vectrix website. I really want to get this.

Thanks

rontivo

I picked up my kit from the dealer in San Francisco (ScuderiaWest). He said he'd charge me for the kit once Vectrix gave him a price, and still no word from him. It could be that Vectrix just hasn't gotten around to putting a price tag on these things yet, which is why you can't find them on their website.

Here's what I received:
Vectrix_Bracket_Kit.jpg

It's easy enough to replace the existing cover with the one with four large holes in it. Apart from that I have:
- 1 black mounting frame
- 4 large bolts
- 2 small bolts
- 2 thick washers
- 2 thin washers
- 2 nuts
- 2 S-shaped brackets

Note: Installation instructions are missing from my list! I could use 2 of the large bolts, washers and nuts to go through the black mounting plate and blue cover, but it seems like all 4 should be attached. Am I missing washers and nuts? I also have absolutely no idea what the S-shaped brackets are for.

Maybe some of this will become more apparent once I actually buy the Givi case.

Any ideas?

-Ron

Cavalho

Hi Ron,
Thanks for posting the pics.
That's exactly what I got, also without mountin instructions. I paid 82.83$ including shipping directly from Vectrix (Both Eastcoast)
The S-shaped brackets are for the forward mountings, it shows itself pretty easily. I did not figure out where the 2 fat washers are supposed to go. Well...

Now as you see, the mounting plate is not ready to take a topcase. After browsing this site for a while I learned that we need a GIVI E250 mounting kit in between this Vectrix bracket and the V46 topcase.

Good luck
Cavalho

jcdunn

Hopefully you figured it out. as best I remember....
Remove the stock tail fin from rear of bike and you will see 4 bolts behind the seat.
I removed the two inner bolts. The "Z" brackets will be face out to the side of the bike and reattached with the longer bolts provided. You may have to redo this step a few time to align the bracket, the holey tail fin and the black mounting platform - it took A LOT OF TIME AND PATIENCE to get all three in position.
Before you position the 'holey' tail fin....
The thick washers are a spacer between the holey tail fin and the existing rear end of the bike used in the rear most two holes.... i.e. ones not under the bracket. I folded over a piece of tape to keep them in place as i positioned and repositioned the backet/tail fin/mounting platform over and over again....
I guess Polish tolerances are not a strict as one would expect. We actually had to hammer one of the brackets to get the holes to align to allow the bolt to thread into the bracket through the mounting platform.

Sorry no picture, but hopefully this is enough detail if you are still struggling with it.

uplarry

I guess Polish tolerances are not a strict as one would expect. We actually had to hammer one of the brackets to get the holes to align to allow the bolt to thread into the bracket through the mounting platform

Yep, I had the same problem. One of the Z brackets lined up perfectly. The other one was way off. I ended up drilling out the bottom hole in that one bracket so that I could slide it over about 1/2 inch or so.

Also, I did the same thing as you with those big washers. A little bit of tape to hold them in place while you bolt everything together.

--
larry

rontivo

The case I ordered has finally come in so I'll head over tomorrow (Friday) and pick it up. Then it sounds like I can have some fun trying to get the z-brackets attached and aligned! Not sure I quite understand what you've done with the thick washers, but hopefully that'll become apparent once I start trying to attach everything. In the kit I received there are 4 long bolts and 2 short bolts. There are 4 holes in the Vectrix-supplied plate. What are the long and short bolts used for? It looks like to me like the 4 long bolts are used to attach the plate, leaving me with 2 extra short bolts.

uplarry

The case I ordered has finally come in so I'll head over tomorrow (Friday) and pick it up. Then it sounds like I can have some fun trying to get the z-brackets attached and aligned! Not sure I quite understand what you've done with the thick washers, but hopefully that'll become apparent once I start trying to attach everything. In the kit I received there are 4 long bolts and 2 short bolts. There are 4 holes in the Vectrix-supplied plate. What are the long and short bolts used for? It looks like to me like the 4 long bolts are used to attach the plate, leaving me with 2 extra short bolts.

You do need all six bolts. Two of them bolt the Z brackets to the bike. The other four go through the holes in the plate and either screw into the top of the Z bracket (the two front holes), or go all the way through the tail piece and are attached with nuts (the two back holes).

However, you will actually have two bolts left over since in order to install the Z brackets, you will have to remove two of the factory installed bolts. That's where two of the long bolts come in to play. The Z bracket is quite thick and that extra thickness (plus a lock washer) means you can't use the existing bolts.

It'll all become more clear once you open up the tail piece of your bike. I'm writing all of this from memory, so I may be wrong about which bolts go where. But you can't put the bolts in the wrong places because if you do, some of the other ones are not going to reach.

The thick washers did pose a bit of a puzzle. They fit between the back posts of the plate and the rear bolt holes. They prevent the plate from bowing inward as you tighten the bolts (i.e. there will be no air gap).

They must have been a mistake when making the top plates because all they needed to do was to increase the length of the rear posts by another centimeter or so. Now given the fact that there are no instructions, we could be wrong about the use of those washers! But I don't think so.

The tape was needed because if you are using the kickstand, the bike is slanted towards the kickstand side and the washers will not stay in place as you are trying to install the plate. If you have the central stand, or if you just prop the bike up so that it is level, the washers will likely stay in place without any tape.

--
larry

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage