XM3000- Shifting

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
mech701
XM3000- Shifting

Folks,

I have seen some references to 'automatic' shifting on the XM3K, as opposed to using a switch on the XM2K.

Is the XM3K shifting mechanism similar to the XM2K, a solenoid moving an arm selecting the motor's winding configuration? Or is the shifting accomplished in the controller?

Can the motor be left in 'high' and what are the effects?

I am contemplating using this motor on a different brand of scooter (melted the brush holders). I will also have to convert the rear brake on my scooter from drum to disk if I go the XM3K route.

Thanks!

Les

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture
Re: XM3000- Shifting

Hi Les,

There isn't any shifting in the XM-3K. The old XM-2K actually had two physical windings - one for high torque low speed and one for high speed. This setup had to be physically shifted.

The XM-3K motor has a single winding that covers the full torque range. There is a high / low switch on the handlebars - but this switch just limits the range of the signal from the throttle to the controller (e.g. in low you get between 0.5 and 2.5V and in high you get the full range of 0.5 to 4.5V). The low speed is achieved by switching in a resistor.

So, you should be able to use this motor and you won't need to add a high/low switch so you can leave it in "high" all the time.

Hope this helps.

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

mech701
Re: XM3000- Shifting

Thanks much! The 0-5v reference tells me that this is the 3-wire throttle.

Now all I have to do is negociate with Xtreme to find out which parts I need, including the brakes.

Are you aware of a parts manual for the XM3K?

Les

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage