Looking for Help

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
eran
eran's picture
Looking for Help

Hi all, I've been surfing the web looking for a small commuting solution (after checking the options I got really excited by the skateboards - I dreamed about these things as a child!). Although I initially looked for an electric vehicle I got the feeling they are relatively weak - low on speed or power or bogged down with batteries. So I headed to study gas vehicles. Now don't ask me how but somehow through those searches I got to these forums and after reading through I got hope maybe I will be able to use a vehicle on electricity after all.
I'd love to hear your advice on some points I'm thinking about -

1. First of all my commute - 3.5 km to the train, taking the train (including a variety of staircases), and another 1.5 km to the office - and back, all in the city.
Derating through the advice of the only place I found talking numbers compared to needs (Scooter Performance) I got the idea I need a device able to go at least 20 km (16 miles) if not including random errands.
A 400W motor (same site advice) and controller - although I haven't seen controller specs published by any manufacturer.
Plus the site reads:
"Two 12-volt, 12 amp-hour batteries will take an average rider 10 miles at 15 mph or up a hill that's 800 feet tall."
Do you think they meant series or parallel? :)
Yeah, I guess this site isn't scientific.
As I've no feeling for speed close to the pavement on the bike path I guessed I needed at least 15 mph (why is this considered slow? it doesn't sound slow).
And to carry it through some staircases I guess 40 lbs is a maximum.

Do these assumptions sound reasonable?
After searching the web I couldn't find a kick-scooter / skateboard that stands to these specs.

2. Batteries - why do all small EVs contain SLAs, aren't they the heaviest batteries around? At least according to the battery site posted here (V post for newbies).
Well, except for this guy's boards - Metroboard - which is an option, but the range is low.
Why not provide an option for Lithiums (or some variety of it),I bet people are willing to pay a bit more if the vehicles would be more practical.
I got inspired by Link (http://visforvoltage.org/forum/2461-it039s-hereyay) to change/add batteries or hack myself something else albeit I've never done something like that before, and hey I don't even have a board yet.

Oh and talking about hardware - what about brushless motors?

3. Hacking - Although I've got no experience (or parts or tools) but I'm good with electronics. Not so with mechanics. Is it a good idea to buy an old board (btw- didn't see much of those on ebay) for the low tech and custom build the motor (maybe), controller and batteries?
Take in mind I haven't tried one yet and will probably have to order everything overseas.

3. Skateboards - In terms of wheels I was thinking I'll need an all-terrain vehicle simply so that it won't crash everytime I go off a curb or on a pebble - what is your take on these? I think Link wrote somewhere he only uses road skateboards - do you go 15 mph with those wheels?

Now I come from snowboarding so it just seems logical to me to put bindings on these machines (like the ones here - Gas skateboard with bindings).
I haven't seen a road board with these, am I just exaggerating? Has anybody tried to order-drill-add some?

One last thought here - I've read the companies explanations for 1 wheel out of 4 drive (no differential), makes sense, but sounds a bit odd - don't they have a tendency to spin (for example on startup/slow speed on hill)? Is it comfortable to ride like this?

4. As a finale - have you seen this monster - Wheelman ? Encountered an electrical version? If not, has anybody tried to convert it?

As you can figure if you've gotten here I'm quite lost. All I want is something to take me to work and back :)
Maybe some experience can put me back on track.

Eran

dogman
dogman's picture
Re: Looking for Help

Hope ya got good health insurance for the wheelman. As for scooters, I'm not the expert but they can be a real good way to go for short commutes and train or bus travel where bikes may be forbidden. Some places do allow folding bikes on the train, and there are some pretty nice ones for sale, both with and without motors.

Everything comes with lead batteries for two reasons, price to sell em to more people, and really, untill just this winter, a lot of the litium batteries avaliable were the dangerous kind. Put a safe lifepo4 or a nimh battery in a small wattage scooter and you will be all set. The big watt scooters will need a bigger battery, so you may be best off with a slower, 200 or 300 watt scooter for matching up with a smaller lighter battery. Lifepo4 batteries are evolving fast, but those avaliable now tend to need a lot of size to power bigger bikes and scooters. At the larger sizes, you would just end up carrying a lot of weight up stairs for no reason. With the tiny scooter wheels, 15 mph is pretty fast. For 20-25 mph go for the folder bike or a bigger wheeled scooter, but then it will be heavy.

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

goodnslo
Re: Electric skateboard

As you can already see with the multitude of possibilities, it will be easier to guide you once you pick a platform. Go to garage sales, pawn shops, ebay, what ever and find something in your price range. From that it will be easier to instruct on how to modify something to be skateboard-like once you decide what you want within your budget.

Other helpful tidbits:
drill powered skateboard
http://www.instructables.com/id/5-Minute-Project:-Drill-Powered-Skateboard/

or make your own deck and attach a batt box, motor and wheels
http://skatepaige.com/uncut-skateboard-blanks/uncut-skateboard-decks.html
http://www.kidzworld.com/article/7076-build-your-own-skateboard
http://www.instructables.com/id/Use-a-Vacuum-cleaner-to-build-your-own-Skateboard/

LinkOfHyrule
LinkOfHyrule's picture
Re: Looking for Help

15mph isn't slow for a skateboard, but it's not fast, either. Good suspension on the board (which mine didn't have) will help out a lot at higher speed. I had to really try to keep that board stable when I tried that ride at 48V.

I've only messed with the G1 skateboards so far, and they only were suitable for roads. I'd go for offroad wheels anyway, since they'll give you a smoother ride.

Small EVs probably tend to use SLA because of their price point. Your average person who doesn't know much about an EV can't see why they should buy something when half the cost is for batteries. Lithium would probably be a good idea in your case, since you want a serious commuter and a relatively light board. How much will depend on what you can fit in the battery box.

I'd see what you can do with an old board. They don't pop up on eBay much, but the ones that do tend to be decent ones. I do plan on making my next board from scratch, but I wouldn't try this unless you have a little experience with what you're trying to make. You shouldn't have to make a custom motor, as there are plenty of options under 1200W. Well, for brushed motors, anyway. If you're feeling adventurous and have access to a machine shop or someone who does have access to a machine shop, you may want to try out an R/C motor.

I wouldn't put bindings on these. Hell, I didn't even use the little bar thing that came with the G1 clone. You're gonna have to bail at some point, and strapping your feet to the board isn't gonna help things. It's a little different story with mountainboards, since you're going over all sorts of rocks and bumps that could make you lose your footing, but this isn't of much use on even a semi-smooth road where you're not going over anything major.

I can't even figure out what the deal is with that one-wheel drive thing. You'd think it has a tendency to want to turn, but I guess they don't. I suppose it works fine.

I've seen that wheelman before. I'd love to convert one someday. Should be fairly doable, since it looks like there's decent space for some lithium where the engine goes.

The author of this post isn't responsible for any injury, disability or dismemberment, death, financial loss, illness, addiction, hereditary disease, or any other undesirable consequence or general misfortune resulting from use of the "information" contai

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage