Am I in the right place?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
64ragtop
Am I in the right place?

Seems I have a vehicle that is a little hard to classify. I call it an electric truckster.

64ragtop
Re: Am I in the right place?

Well, I thought I had followed the instructions to upload a picture. Didn't see it when I clicked "preview" and sure enough, it didn't show up when I clicked "submit" either. Also, I haven't found a way to edit or delete a post, or i would have deleted that first one. Gonna look around some more. Please excuse the newbie mistakes. It's a new board for me, and I haven't learned the quirks.

Truckster__Small_.jpg

Oh, THAT's how that works!

OK, then, this thing uses a brushed motor the data plate says is 36 volt, 15.5 amp (about 580 watts) and a controller that is labeled Control Voltage: 1-4V Output Current: 30A(M). The drive, control, and charger wiring seem pretty simple, except for the previous owner's "interesting" engineering. The rig came with a battery pack that clipped into a plastic structure around the downtube which enclosed the controller wiring and that for the lights, horn,key switch and dashboard display. That pack was replaced with a much heavier duty one going from three 12 amp hour batteries to two 28 and one 33 amp hour units and wired by a plumber or carpenter - certainly not any species of wire mechanic. But it does work! I'm just ashamed to be seen on the thing 'til I get the wiring looking much more professionally done.

BCFoundWiring__Small_.jpg

I am a bit concerned about the mismatched batteries. Anyone have experience with such a situation? I'm guessing that the only real effect will be slightly lower total amp hours and I'm HOPING that there's no really dire consequences! I'm also unsure why the two circuit breakers. They're just jumpered now, and only interrupt the battery output. Shouldn't one of them be in the charger input line???

Anyway, that's my current project and my intro. It's late and I'm tired, so BFN!

If it ain't broke, fix it til it is!

dogman
dogman's picture

Still no pic of the whole thing. Is it a trike? The smallest, or the one that is not deep cycle will die first. Eventually replace with a matched set, or Lifepo4, nimh, nicad...

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

64ragtop

Well, like I wrote last night (this morning) it was late and I was tired! But I would have sworn that the preview post view showed the whole trike and the wiring kluge. Oh well, I'll try again:

Truckster__Small_.jpg

O-TAY!!! THEREthe bugger is in all it's radiant glory!

Main thing with the batteries just now is to get the wiring straitened out, check for roadworthiness and legality, and start to use the thing. I'll have more questions as I learn more, and perhaps I'll be able to contribute something one of these days.

One question that I have just now is about the unused connector on the controller. How can I tell if it's supposed to go back up to the dashboard, to light up the stock battery gauge and/or the brake light? Is there a wiring standard color code. or is it the proverbial "OOPS DAMN - I let the smoke out of another one" trial and (expensive) error method?

If it ain't broke, fix it til it is!

Who's online

There is currently 1 user online.

• Juli76

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage