OT: Helmet hurting my ears

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Morrison
OT: Helmet hurting my ears

I am new to riding and wearing a helmet. I bought 2 helmets. One of them is a full faced helmet and it is very snug and comfortable.
But it is really starting to hurt my ears putting it on. It feels like the cartilage in my ears is getting bent and sore. It is mostly caused as I am putting the helmet on. I feel fine once the helmet is on and taking it off doesn't hurt.

Am I weird? Does anyone else have this issue? Is there some secret to this that I am missing?

AndY1
AndY1's picture
Re: OT: Helmet hurting my ears

My full faced helmet does the same, but I'm used to it. It's good that the helmet fits the head tightly.
After I have it completely on, if my ears don't position themselves correctly, I rotate the helmet slightly clock and anti-clock wise to get them in the perfect position.

Buzby
Buzby's picture

Believe it or not, that's the sign of a good fitting helmet when new! I promise you it'll get better as the foam starts to mould itself to your features, but it can take a few weeks of constant wearing to get to the 'comfy' stage. With me, I sat watching TV with it on to the great amusement of my family!

- Raymond

AndY1
AndY1's picture

//www.alter.si/tabla/images/graemlins/hysterical-1.gif)

Mik
Mik's picture

A flip up helmet would solve your problem.

Yes, a helmet needs to fit well, but it does not have to do this by squeezing your ears.
In fact, hearing can be quite important in traffic.

A flip up helmet is also very nice if you wear glasses because you can leave them on when you put the helmet on.

And, the EVangelizing is sooo much easier when they can see your grin during a quick chat!

Mr. Mik

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

moccasin
moccasin's picture

Easiest trick, if you can do it comfortably, is to spend a couple or three bucks on a thin fabric head wrap/Do-Rag/or whatever you care to call it. Slip it on and wear it OVER your ears. Your helmet will no longer rip your ears off while you slip it on.

Do-rags with thick bands, or those made with thick material, or with wide tie bands in the back don't work well under helmets, but the cheap ones work very well, and have the added bonus of summertime cooling if you keep them wet.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage