Dual battery packs

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
hamblin10
Dual battery packs

I have a BD36 that now has 2 36v battery packs. I would like to be able to switch packs without having to get off and change wiring. Any ideas on how to install a switch to do this? Thanks.

HCT
HCT's picture
Re: Dual battery packs

What is your budget to accomplish this?
You could parallel through SCHOTTKY diodes but it may create some heat due to voltage drop . a better way ,
depending on the peak current requirement of your controller/motor system , believe that a couple low resistance FET ( 2 to 5 milliohms ) and low level switch for the gate , you should able to OR the two batteries with mininal loss
2O watt loss with a 2 milliohms FET and 100 AMPS continuous , if the load is 20 amps , then the figure about 2 watts loss , very small ! .
You could also use a 2PST latching relay ( to minize coil power comsuption ) but ooncerned about the contact rating for DC and high peak current with the inductive load .
It depend what you are willing to paid and how much loss you will tolerate.
Regards
Andre

HEAT & LOSS & INEFFICIENCY RELATED DIRECTLY to IMPEDANCE

sparc5
sparc5's picture

Andre, nice ideas!! Just wondering why you didn't include a DPST switch so don't worry about the power consumption of the relay?

XM-3000...
-DC-DC converter replaced with a Dell D220P-01 power supply.
-72V mod
-Expensive bank charger until I come up with something better... Still trying.
-

HCT
HCT's picture

sparc5

Thank you ! , should have clearified it more , was thinking about 2 monentary switch , since the latching relay only need power for a instant , then no power necessary .
Regards
Andre

HEAT & LOSS & INEFFICIENCY RELATED DIRECTLY to IMPEDANCE

skylark

If you have two battery packs, DO NOT USE TRAILER TYPE CONNECTORS! I have burned myself badly twice by grabbing two connectors, putting them together thinking that I was connecting a battery to the controller but in fact had two battery connectors, which created a short circuit and with a blast of plasma vaporized the metal connector all over my hand. If you want to use multiple battery packs, use Anderson Powerpoles which can be set up so the connectors will not connect when the polarity is reversed.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage