XB-500/600 turn signal sound of death

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
sbmguy
XB-500/600 turn signal sound of death

I was wondering if anyone could point out which wire(s) I would have to "disconnect" in order to make the sound from the turn signals go away. I have a XB-500, but I think that the wires for this task shouldn't be too different between the two models?.. Thanks for any/all help and I hope this may be helpful to others in the future!

depetro
Re: XB-500/600 turn signal sound of death

Man, I wish I had posted this a week ago as it drove me insane tracking down that d#@! speaker. On the XB-600, the speaker is located in the blinker module (that's what X-treme calls it on the website). Open up your dash (behind the speedometer and voltmeter) and you'll find the black box, disconnect it (make sure you you note which is 12V (yellow) and which is GND (black)). Use a screw driver to pry open that black module and you'll find the heinous little speaker. I'd just remove the speaker and its red and black wires from the solder joint. Reassemble and enjoy life with out feeling like there is a dump truck next to you at each turn.

dantheman

Cool! I found it and pried apart that little box! Just ripped the +/- wires out of the board and VIOLA! No more little black speaker of deaf!
Now I can just signal and not scare every cat in the neighborhood! The horn is so obnoxious, I think it will be next!

What would Yoda do?
Kick your but in, yes he will do.

Craftkiller

shouldn't you leave the horn in as a safety feature? I don't know how it is where you live but where I live there are tons of clueless women texting on their phones while driving (not trying to be sexist... but in my experience, guys don't text while driving)

hyperob
hyperob's picture

Hey Craftkiller,

They are only talking about the little speaker for the turning signals. It sounds like the horn but it isnt. You're right though, I would never disconnect the horn on the bike I have to use that everyday :)

sbmguy

Hey depetro, sorry for not posting earlier, but thanks a lot. Thanks to your post I was able to take out the little sound maker. Again, thanks.
--cheers

Laurie

shouldn't you leave the horn in as a safety feature? I don't know how it is where you live but where I live there are tons of clueless women texting on their phones while driving (not trying to be sexist... but in my experience, guys don't text while driving)

Actually, there are a lot of guys out there using their "crackberries" while driving. Both my bosses are terrible multi-taskers with their Blackberries. I don't think that this is a gender issue. I actually know more guys than gals that are distracted by their gadgets while driving (could be my age and my location, but in my experience...)

But, I completely agree - the horn should stay connected, in MI, it is a requirement for the bike to be street legal - it must have a working horn. And - unlike the turn signal, you don't actually have to use it unless you need the sound.

JamesS
JamesS's picture

Hello all,
T agree that noise is way to loud for a electric bike, maybe on a gas scooter but not on my bike. I located the source and wrapped it with black tape. Now I can hear it but it is much better. It is a safety feature and should be left connected, just mute it down a little

Happy scooting
JamesS

Happy scooting,
JamesS

richardb
richardb's picture

I don't mind having a sound that tells me when the turn signal is on. But I don't need to tell the entire neighborhood.
Rather than disconnect my blinker module, I simply shoved several cotton balls into it's "mouth" and then wrapped electrical tape around it. Now, it still beeps, but at a volume in keeping with the quietness of the electric bike.

Dick Berger
http://www/bergerweb.net/xb500

Dickey_b
Waste Not, Want Not

AztecFemBone
AztecFemBone's picture

And the "mouth" would be where? :D

richardb
richardb's picture

The "mouth" is actually part of the blinker module. It's kinda like a horn on one side, and you can stuff cotton balls into the horn to make it quieter. I just wrapped tape around it afterward to make sure the cotton balls don't come out.
PS. For you FemBone, the "mouth" is what makes the embouchure.

Dickey_b
Waste Not, Want Not

AztecFemBone
AztecFemBone's picture

The "mouth" is actually part of the blinker module. It's kinda like a horn on one side, and you can stuff cotton balls into the horn to make it quieter. I just wrapped tape around it afterward to make sure the cotton balls don't come out.
PS. For you FemBone, the "mouth" is what makes the embouchure.

;)

teehee. Basketball season rehearsals start this week so I had better remember that "embouchure" thing pretty quickly. Haven't played in months!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSLFwqlI3Gk

AztecFemBone
AztecFemBone's picture

The offender has been located and has been wrapped in cotton and electrical tape. MUCH better!
BlinkerHorn1.jpg

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage