Legalizing a custom bike ?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
bogrock
Legalizing a custom bike ?

Hi there,
I'm new to posting on the forum here so apologies if this has been answered elsewhere.
Having recently purchased a custom built electric motorbike from someone in NY I'm wondering what I might need to do to make sure I'm not in danger of violating any laws taking it to the local coffee shop here in CA etc.
I was hoping to use it for short trips locally instead of the car.

Any comments/suggestions/advice welcomed
Thanks

Kim

Here is the details:

It is powered by three Optima Yellow Top batteries, which are 3 months old.

The controller is a Kelly 300 amp controller with a Magura twist grip throttle.

The motor is 4hp made by Imperial / Scott (part number 4BD2267).

The donor bike is a Chinese made dirt bike called "Sunl" that had a 250 cc engine in it.
It goes 35mph max

cee8_1.jpg
d845_1.jpg

dogman
dogman's picture
Re: Legalizing a custom bike ?

Looks pretty off road to me. In my state, NM, you would need, headlights, taillights, turn signals, break lights, horn, a speedometer, a bill of sale, an odometer statement verifying the mileage, liability insurance and a motorcylce endorsement on your dirvers licence. Have Fun! Might be easier to buy a little gas scooter to run for coffe. Too bad you just about have to leave the state to ride a bike off road in califa.

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

bogrock

Thanks,
Yes,
It is an off road bike but isn't there a CA equivalent to a New York Class C limited use motorcycle, which means you can drive it anywhere, as long as you keep to the shoulder of the road. ?

jyracing
jyracing's picture

Not that I am aware of without peddles. I hear that there is a lowspeed vehicle registration (under 30MPH). But even those need all the electrical parts Dogman mentioned. Same rules in CA where we live. And, you need DOT approved street knobby tires. At least we are SMOG exempt. It will most likely have to be inspected by DMV or CHP (cough, or my Bro-in-law at LAPD, shhhh). Do you have a NY title for the frame and a bill of sale from the person on the title? Otherwise there are a few forms you will need the seller to fill out. Or just slap on a plate from another registered street legal bike. I plan to try to register mine as a lowspeed vehicle as soon as I round up all the electrical parts for the street. They all dont really have to work, just give the illusion of legality, as I call it, for the cops. Brake light must work. Dont speed, Dont turn. Dont honk, Dont ride at night. etc... LOL

JY

ekline309

Just ride it anyways, if a cop pulls you over (which they probably won't) just claim ignorance, I doubt he'll know the law either!

deronmoped

I would look into selling or trading it if you want something for the street. It's going to be a lot of work getting it legal and who knows what the DMV will say after you have done all the work.

Deron.

Bob91403

In California it can be registered as a motorized bicycle. This is not to be confused with an e-bike. An e-bike needs no registration and cannot be more than 1000w. The speed limit is 20mph on level ground. With a "motorized bicycle", or moped, license you pay a one time fee, there is no insurance necessary, it must not be more than two horsepower, or 1497w, the speed limit is 30mph on level ground. As long as you set your output, I'd use a cycle analyst to set the 30mph limit, you can get it licensed. After that there's nothing to prevent you from changing your settings for a higher top speed. But if you get pulled over for speeding you might be told it is a motorcycle, not a motorized bicycle. Then you've got a whole bunch of fees, yearly registration, insurance, DOT compliance and inspection. If you want to go that route, you'd be better off converting an existing street legal motorcycle. If it wasn't a street legal motorcycle before, it won't be street legal after you convert it. In CA if you want to get it on the freeway, you have to start with a 250cc bike before conversion, and it has to do 65mph. The original displacement determines whether the bike has the brakes and other required equipment to handle freeway speeds. Hope this is helpful.

nasukaren
nasukaren's picture

Hmm.... the motor is only rated for intermittent duty. Might be fine for trip to the supermarket but I wouldn't run it for more than 30 min at a time at near to full throttle.

http://www.kansaswindpower.net/motors.htm

Karen

Working on a Piaggio Boxer (mo-ped) EV conversion: http://gpsy.com/ev

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage