Power cuts out momentarily when starting

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
boyelectric
Power cuts out momentarily when starting

So, about 30% of the time when starting from a dead stop, at about 2-3 mph, my system will cut out (goes dead) for about 1-2 seconds, then power comes back and all is fine.

My system:

Crystalyte 5305 rear hub.
36V 40amp Crystalyte controller
36V 20AH LiFePO4 battery pack
Grip-twist throttle (can't remember the name)

Any thoughts?

Krilson
Re: Power cuts out momentarily when starting

Software

dogman
dogman's picture

Though your bike will put a lot of stress on the battery, if that was your problem you would be having a bms cut out, requiring you to disconnect and reconnect the battery to get going again. So you are having controller cut outs, that on chrystalite stuff, i think resets itself. I get this too on my WE hub, but usually only when the motor is real hot, and using more amps. Peadling first as much as possible is how I handle it, especially if it is an uphill start. Any motor can pull some way high amps when it is in stalling condition, just before it starts to roll. Usually only a very small roll before you hit the throttle makes that amperage spike much smaller. Easing into the trottle a bit slower helps me too. I wouldn't know how to tell if the controller is working right, but if this doesn't fix it, I'd say it may be cuttiing out at too low an amperage. This should be once in a blue moon, not every ride. Voltage sag on sla's helps smooth this out, so you may be getting bigger spikes with the lifepo4.

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

boyelectric

Thanks Dog! That would make some sense, especially given the LiFePO4 batteries. I don't have any SLA to test against, so I can probably just live with it. If it changes, I will take notice.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage