Charging problem

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Christophe
Charging problem

I bought my Vectrix two month ago.
The first month, I have had some troubles like "canbus" who need a reboot during a trip and sometime "High Temp Light" plus "Battery light" together due to over température in battery. Always in normal use in the French climat !

A week later, it was impossible to charge the scooter: Charger didn't start.

I returned the scooter for fixing to the French importer (my dealer).
The service center change the charger but after few days this one run curiously:
At the beginning of charge the charger set CP151 with only 3 or 4 amp (depend to the battery level) and not 11 or 12 amp. Sometime the charger try to deliver 11 or 12 amp for few minutes or second but return in low position (2,5 to 3 amp)during CP151.
After CP151, the TR, CC and EC mode are correct.

The result is too long time to charge the scooter :about 8 to 10 hours for a full charge.

Do you have opinion?

undead
Re: Charging problem

Im no expert, but it sounds like a faulty / dead cell to me - that may explain the lower amperage the charger is giving, and also the long charge time - the smart charger is never satisfied that the charge is complete, so keeps charging.

Christophe

Hi all
Have a look to this small video to understand my problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVCNaksQkew

Christophe

I don't know if it's a dead cell in the battery, but I have a good range with full charge (65 to 70 kms in normal use 50% on road 50% in town no free way)

Mik
Mik's picture

Hi all

That is definitely abnormal and needs fixing.

I would not charge any more until it has been fixed, you might ruin your batteries if you continue!

Mr. Mik

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

Christophe

Yes and thank you for responses.
I think so and will return my scooter for fixing a second time !!

Exceptionnel machine but no reliability !

Morrison

Hi all

That is a weird charging process. My needle is between 110 to 120 and is very stable during the charging process. Is pulls a little over 15 amps during the main charging cycle.

When it is at 16/17 bars, it goes to tr, CC, EC and is stable with the needle at 20 to 30 and is pulling 3 amps according to my energy meter.

The alarming part of your video is the violent movement of the needle. That is just weird and it would concern me what is happening on the inside. My cycle is very stable with smooth movements when the charging process transitions between CP, tr, CC and EC.

That video is classic proof and I would immediately get Vectrix involved before charging again.

Christophe

My to long charging sequence is now fixed. The resailer had changed for the second time the charger. In the same time, they put the new software in the Vectrix also.
But now the problem with it is that the charge sequence stop (EC153) at around 142- 143 v and of course the range decline of 10 to 15 km in normal use.
Do you have idea to solve this new problem ?

Mik
Mik's picture

Wow, that took a while! 7 month?

How high was the voltage (before the charger and software replacement) at the end of charging?

And what range did you get before and after?

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

Christophe

Hie Mik,

Indeed, that took 7 months to have a fresh new dealer close to my place (150km) instead of the importer too far (500km)for charger replacement. Vectrix did'nt accept to pay for transport and they said that time would probably fix the problem.!!
When I bought the Vectrix direct to the French importer I knew that did'nt exist close dealer for services but I did'nt know about relative reliability !

Before the second charging replacement, high voltage just before end charging (8 hours) was around 148-149 volts and that gave me 55 kms range in normal use (50% road -50% town)
And now with the new one (and january 09 firwmare)the complete charging process from 122 v to 142 v is finsihed in about 3 hours .
CP153 during 2 hours (122 to 141 v and full bargraph)- 12 to 11 amp
TR... during 15 minutes - 0 amp
CC153 during 40 minutes (141v to 142v)- 3 amp
EC000 just fan - 0 amp
In fact the range is 10 to 15km less than before.

moccasin
moccasin's picture

When I get on my bike in the morning, after an overnight charge, it reads 140 volts. Last time I did a deep discharge, I think it read 120.

Maybe the new software is trying to keep the voltage in a more battery friendly range?

marsupi
marsupi's picture

HI there,
I got the exact same battery charge characteristics after my new battery and firmware upgrade last november.
charging time is shorter and end of charge resting voltage is between 140 and 143 volts.
before I had an optimistic range of 78km at end of charge now its around 58 km and it drop to ~35 km after about 2km then slowly creeps back to around 40 during my 5 mile journey. then when I hop back on for my return trip it does the same just drop from ~50 to 35km after about 1 km or so then slowly creeps back up. So now I charge it every night, I use to charge once every three days but I'm just not sure I can trust this range gage anymore, wish it would display voltage instead, at least I would know when it's dead for sure.
I'm sure they've reduced the maximum voltage to prevent excessive overcharge since they do the equalization by overcharging the batteries. and combined with high temps that really kills the batteries.

07 Vectrix, Vego 600 mod.48V 800W, Arcade Alu E-Cycle 24VSachs Hub

HarryS

I only have experience with the October 2008 software. Full charge ends at around 143V, low voltage is 125V. Full range for me a fairly reliable 30 miles. Full charge consumes 4500Watt after a 30 mile ride. At a charging efficiency of 66% which is typical for NIMH systems, that suggests that the 3.7Kw battery was depleted by no more than 3.0kw. I assume that the new software does not take the charge below 20% and probably does not charge to a full 100% but may be 90-95%. Hence we are actually using a range of between 20%-95%. That sure will increase battery life tremendously. For those who can live with the range that is an advantage in my opinion. I like to get many years out of mine.

antwilkinson

I only do 14 miles round trip a day, I don't normaly need the full range. I'm thinking through the summer of just charging the bike to the end of the cp stage, during the cooling cycle stop the charge. This charges to around 140V with very little increase in battery temps. Charge time takes about 10mins per bar. The advantages are much shorter charge times and a cooler battery pack. My only consern is if the pack would go out of balance over a period of months?

AndY1
AndY1's picture

Exactly my thought. If you never charge above 95%, when do the battery get equalized?

HarryS

The software will initiate an equalization charge every 12h of use. So that's not a problem.

antwilkinson

Only if a full charge is completed, not interrupted as I had suggested, therefore probably best to once a week do a full charge when I'm not going to use the bike to give it plenty of time to cool down.

antwilkinson

Left the bike to do a full charge today, after a week of just cp charges. Start temp 8c start battery 135V. It did a cp charge for about 40mins then stopped, no ec charge, no cool down cycle. Final battery temp 9C 143V. It's a bit early so say, but seems to be a kinder way to charge the bike during the summer.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage