Has anyone found a decent wireless bike computer to work with the XB-600?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
hyperob
hyperob's picture
Has anyone found a decent wireless bike computer to work with the XB-600?

Hey Everyone,

Just curious to find out if anyone has installed a wireless bike computer on an XB-600. I was thinking of putting one on to get an odomoter for the bike to see how far I am riding.

If anyone has some suggestions or some pix of their set, I would appreciate it.

I know there is the Garmin 205 GPS that will do that but it get a little pricey. I was hoping to keep the whole thing under $40 to $50.

Cheers

Hyperob

JamesS
JamesS's picture
Has anyone found a decent wireless bike computer

Hello Hyperob,

I know you asked about wireless, I looked at some of those units and went with a wired set up. Picked it up at Walmart for anout $10. It's a Schwinn bike computer and it has speed, trip. total miles, trip time, avg speed, and clock. Same unit I have on my mountain bike. Mounted the pick up on the fender mounting bracket and put the magnet on the rim near the valve stem.
Cut out an opening in the dash near the throttle and installed the read out there.
Took some time to cut out as you can always make a hole bigger but making it smaller is beyond my capabilities.
The unit once programed for wheel size is very accurate. I have verified it with my GPS and also the school zones here have radar with a read out and it is always dead on with the radar at any speed. It's dark out right now, but will put up some pics if you are interested.

Happy scooting,
JamesS

Happy scooting,
JamesS

racermike39
racermike39's picture
wireless bike computer to work with the XB-600?

I did some research before I bought a bicycle computer for my bike. I heard many complaints about the wireless. Some even believed the signal was affected by cell phone usage. Most information I found was pretty sure the "noise" from the controller would interfere with the computer signal.
I ended up using the Panoram V12 wired. It's the largest screen on the market. I JB welded the magnet to my wheel. I also found it was very accurate with the proper wheel circumference setting, as verified with a GPS. I mounted it using HD velcro to my gauge panel. The only thing I don't like, is I couldn't find a wired computer that was back lit. So I have to add a dash light for night riding.
Mine was $30 from E-bay.
DASH.jpg

Racermike
5 years ago I met Jesus and he total ruined my life. I have never been happier.

hyperob
hyperob's picture
Re: Has anyone found a decent wireless bike computer

Thanks James I would very much like to see the pictures.

I had heard that the wireless were noisy as well as Racermike pointed out but was kind of not looking forward to adding more wires on the bike but that is why I am looking for opinions from people. The wired ones are even cheaper than the wireless which I like very much. :)

Cheers

Rob

JamesS
JamesS's picture
Re: Has anyone found a decent wireless bike computer

Hello Rob,

As you will see I used a tie wrap and (my favorite} velcro to attach the sensor to the fender mount and super glue and velcro for the magnet. The hole in the dash has the slide in mount for the display below it so you can't walk off with the display. You would have to pull the dash cover off to remove the display, also to change the battery.

img249.jpg

img250.jpg

img251.jpg

Happy scooting,
JamesS

Happy scooting,
JamesS

hyperob
hyperob's picture
Re: Has anyone found a decent wireless bike computer to work wit

Thanks James,

Very sweet looking setup. Thanks for the pix.

depetro

Hey James,

Thanks for the info. I bought the same/similar Schwinn bike computer from amazon and it arrived yesterday. I haven't had a chance to spend much time contemplating how to attach the magnet to the wheel, but I guess I don't have to as you seem to have answered the question quite well.

This actually brings me back to a point I mentioned to a friend earlier... X-treme should just pack a small tube of superglue in the toolkit. It's handy for fixing a lot of the bike.

JamesS
JamesS's picture

Hello all.

While the way I mounted the magnet is not elegant, it does work. You may notice this is not the stock magnet that came with the speedo. The original worked but didn't have enough surface area to get a good bond to the velcro.

If I ever have to remove the front tire, I may just drill a hole in the rim, counter sink it and drill and tap the magnet so I can attach it with a screw to make it look alittle cleaner.

Happy scooting,
JamesS

Happy scooting,
JamesS

Oshawaebiker
Oshawaebiker's picture

Hi JamesS.
With mine I just glued the magnet to the edge of the rim closest to the pickup with silicon adhesive. I had it fastened the same way on my first bike and at 4600km it never came off.

E-Bike Advocate

Bike: 2008 Volt Canada Dream Ryder

richardb
richardb's picture

Hey Everyone,

Just curious to find out if anyone has installed a wireless bike computer on an XB-600. I was thinking of putting one on to get an odomoter for the bike to see how far I am riding.

If anyone has some suggestions or some pix of their set, I would appreciate it.

I know there is the Garmin 205 GPS that will do that but it get a little pricey. I was hoping to keep the whole thing under $40 to $50.

Cheers

Hyperob
Hyperob,
I have tried only one wireless bike computer, a Bell brand. and I did not like the way it worked. It could be that the one I got was just defective, but after having it cut out (be intermittent) at about 13 MPH, I installed a wired unit, and have been having good luck with it for my computations. see a description of my installation on my website at:
http://www.bergerweb.net/xb500
The website describes the installation I made of a wired computer, but Bell also has a wireless version for $5.00 more. My experimentation with the wireless version revealed that placing the magnet and pickup closer to the center of the wheel is probably better than placing it near the outer perimeter. Take heed to my calibration method. It's much more accurate than the bell method.

------------

Dickey_b
Waste Not, Want Not

Dickey_b
Waste Not, Want Not

depetro

In a sign of huge procrastination, I finally installed my bike computer (I bought it over 2 months ago). After reading Dickey_b's extremely accurate method of determining the actual circumference of the tire under weight load, I was wondering if any one had done that on the XB-600? If not, what is a good circumference measurement for the front tire of the XB-600 under load. Obviously, it depends on the rider's weight, but I'm going to say that the difference between 180lbs and 230lbs for the rider weight isn't that big.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage