How steep a hill will the Phoenix Brute pull?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
bmcaleer10
How steep a hill will the Phoenix Brute pull?

Before I drop 700$ on a Brute setup, I need to know from the X5305 owners out there how steep a hill will the Brute pull, what voltage you run at, what controller, and type batteries. I have two hills (one 6% and the other 12% to get over for work. Let me know what you can. Thank you all!

Slow1
Re: How steep a hill will the Phoenix Brute pull?

Note that I'm not an owner... yet? I'm actually looking into one myself. What I can tell you from my reading is that the answer is not easy to pin down as there are a lot of factors to consider. The main inputs, however, seem to be just how much power you are able to put into it (voltage), the size of the wheel it is mounted on (thus the effective torque you are applying/mechanical advantage), and total weight it is being forced to pull up the hill.

I've seen a lot of posts that list the weight of various bikes and their speed - generally flat... but not a whole lot showing the question you are asking (and that I have wondered too) which is the uphill pull ability. The other thing that seems absent in a lot of posts is just how much folks are putting on the frame when they ride - including their own weight. I see total bike weight and the occasional comment about individual weight, but when comparing things I'd like to see total weight. Then again - on flat speed tests (unless acceleration is the question) it probably doesn't matter that much.

Hope you find your answer - if you do find it elsewhere, please do share it here as well.

andys
andys's picture

Even 12% is not that steep of a hill for the more powerful hub motors. My 8 pound Geared hub Motor from EV tech gets me up 12% grades pretty easy. When you get to 20% plus long grades, that is where you start to have problems.

dogman
dogman's picture

Having melted the guts out of a BD36 motor this summer climbing a pretty good hill, my question is how far at 12% and how hot. Take that Brute to 72v and it will go up the hill. I'm sure the folks out there will agree with that! But if the hills are really long or it's really hot where you live, then you could end up like me, getting up the hill fine, but for just so many trips. My run was one hour, all uphill in 100-105 weather. 400 miles and the motor was done. Most of the climb was on one mile of 10%, but the motor never cooled off after that climb, and would cook for six more miles to home.

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

dogman
dogman's picture

Just as a reference, heres how a BD36 with a ping 36v climbs a hill.

Rider, 180

Bike 75

Speed up a 8% one mile grade.

18mph at first,
15 mph for most of it,
near the top 13-14 mph.

This includes all the peadling I have got. One day, feeling good, I topped the hill at 15mph. As the motor would heat up, resistance increased and the speed and power would drop. After the hill, with a smokin hot motor, top speed on the flat was at least 5 mph less than usual.

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

bmcaleer10

Thank you guys! Your info and specs are very helpful. Though still waiting for an X5305 owner to chime in. "Andys" are you sure you are not getting "degree if inclination" and % mixed up? 12% is steep and not many 12% go for more than a mile or two. On the other hand, 12 degrees is not much and a light motor could pull it no problem. I am 185 lbs, bike is 113 lbs. and its a homemade welded jobbie. I have a Ford F-250 starter motor pulling 350 amps out of a 115Ah 12 volt battery to get me to the top of this hill and the battery is tired at the top. I know more volts would be best but the 12 v motor is not designed for it. I don't know if we are on the same page.

proton
proton's picture

The $700 price u mentioned is for 36V. That wont cut it. You need 48V
12% is very steep. you'll run out of battery before u reach the top probably.
the 5 series motor line really sucks up the amps vs the red hornet hub motor...u ever check that out ?
you better be using lithium

The LiFepo4 BattMan www.falconev.com

spinningmagnets

If you get the 5-series Phoenix, thats about as steep a hill-puller as you can get. If you're not happy with that, I'm not sure what would pull better.

I'm a fan of the Cyclone system, where a pedal-axle (bottom bracket/BB) motor uses the rear gears to dramatically increase hill-climbing, but when you downshift, you will go slower as a trade-off.

If you're set on getting a hub-motor, and you're very concerned the 5-series won't be quite enough (even at 48-volts) you could get one with a smaller wheel, like a 24-inch instead of 26" to help with hills.

I "think" (correct me if I'm wrong) that road per-cent is elevation compared to length traveled. A 6% grade means the road rises 6-feet for every 100 feet traveled. A 45-degree rise would then be a 100% grade?

Using a large cardboard protractor half-circle marked with 180 degrees and a string with a weight on the end, it would be easy to see the number of degrees. This would help with more accurate reporting, instead of "I have the hub-master 3000, and it did good on a really steep hill"

bmcaleer10

Proton, I think you are very right. 48 volts (or more) is the way to go. It sounds like the 5 series motor is strong like I want. Any more and I need a motorcycle huh? After the purchase, I can only afford lead acid. Do you have any hookups on those defective dewalt packs? Lithium is the only way to go but it breaks the bank. Thank you for the info!!!

bmcaleer10

Spinningmagnets, that's funny...hubmaster 3000...so true! the wheel is a good alternative. The info on the hill% sounds right. I have a large protractor, I should check it. I just tested my home welded jobbie again tonight, here are the results:

Ford F-250 Starter motor turning rear wheel via v-belt.
115 Ah marine deep cycle lead acid (46 lbs)
bike weighs 113 lbs.
185 lb. rider
10% hill
.5 mile
up and down three times.

1st climb: 21 mph (unassisted)
2nd climb: 19 mph (unassisted)
3rd climb: 16 mph (unassisted, smoking motor)

If the brushes burn out, I pull off the housing and replace the whole thing for free because I have a lifetime warranty on the motor. The battery can be exchanged when sulfation occurs.

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• janet
  • Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07

Support V is for Voltage