Loud pipes save lives? Safety on EV scooters / motorcycles

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
reikiman
reikiman's picture
Loud pipes save lives? Safety on EV scooters / motorcycles

I know "loud pipes save lives" is one of those memes in motorcycling...

http://visforvoltage.org/forum/4610-i-recieved-my-xb600-today#comment-27005

Given that electric scooters and motorcycles don't have loud pipes (or any pipes) here's some thoughts.

I like that electric scooters and motorcycles are so quiet. I like riding a silent vehicle beginning with my EVT 4000 which to me seemed like a magic flying carpet. I think quiet vehicles improve the overall quality of our environment and in a way loud pipes degrade the overall quality.. the issue is sound pollution.

The issue is about remaining safe. Maybe being safe doesn't have to involve sound pollution?

In the motorcycle safety program what they stressed wasn't loud pipes but paying attention to what's happening on the road. Paying attention, planning ahead, planning escape routes if problems were to arise, etc. They also stressed how motorcycles are pretty much invisible and it's best to do things to improve visibility, such as wearing bright clothes, wearing highly reflective clothes, having good reflectors on the bike, oh, and I suppose loud pipes might draw attention if others are close enough to hear the obnoxious noise of the loud pipes.

BTW even a motorcycle which has pipes can be missed by other drivers. Yesterday while riding my gas motorcycle (pipes) someone in the next lane over started to change lanes into my lane. Fortunately I was being observant and have learned to have a quick response with the horn. The blaring of my horn woke up the other driver, who saw me, and aborted the lane change. The pipes on that bike didn't save me, it was awareness and the horn.

Which reminds me, the horn on my electric motorcycle is broken... (again).. better fix it before my next ride.

LinkOfHyrule
LinkOfHyrule's picture
Re: Loud pipes save lives? Safety on EV scooters / motorcycles

Reminds me of something I tried with a toy motor, once. Hooking up a small speaker amp to it gave me some weird sounds. Maybe there's an application here...? Should sound pretty unusual, depending on how you hook it up to a 3-phase BLDC. Bet that'd get attention. I wouldn't mind having a bike that sounded like a Kollmorgen...

The author of this post isn't responsible for any injury, disability or dismemberment, death, financial loss, illness, addiction, hereditary disease, or any other undesirable consequence or general misfortune resulting from use of the "information" contai

davew
davew's picture

I think "loud pipes save lives" is an excuse dreamt up by motorcyclists to justify boorish behavior. As loud as some motorcycles are they still aren't nearly loud enough to let most other drivers hear them until the possibility of a collision is long past. The only thing I noticed while riding an electric scooters is that bicycles couldn't hear me nearly as well. If we were both going into the wind my road noise wasn't always enough to let them know I was there. I started either tooting them or giving them a wide berth. I didn't have this problem on motorcycles.

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"

smace

Sounds like a business Opportunity :) Sell a speaker system with an amp tied into the throttle, and a variable volume pot. Set up a site where you can download the sound you want. Want to shoud like a Harley, get the track, like a corvette same thing, even a 50cc scooter. there have been dumber business plans fly on the internet.

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage