Okay I made a stupid mistake. I was working on the bike wiring in some new devices. Carefully pluging and unpluging the battery to check my connections.
I stupidly forgot to unplug the battery and a negative wire (black) touched the wheel rim and ZAP huge spark. Unplugged checked everything. Fuse had burnt. Okay replace fuse.
Everything was working except......spedometer. I checked wires couldn't see anything visibly wrong. I replaced the spedometer and the controller and the fuse box and still no spedometer.
Anyone have any ideas? Did I fry something in the motor? I thought the speedo info comes from the controller but that didn't solve it.
Does the info for speed come from the phase lines from the motor back into the controller? Could I have popped something in the motor? I don't think so.....
The only thing I haven't done is trace every inch of the wire going from the speedo to the controller.
Oh and by the way if you order a speedo from X-Treme the harness that it comes with now is completely wrong. Its a brank new unit but wired compeletely differently. I pulled the old harness from my old speedo and used that. These are pretty common units on Chinese bikes so it must have been for another brand.
Does the battery charge gauge works?Only those two,including the speedo, are not wired to the DC/DC converter.
Yes the battery level indicator works. Everything on the bike works except the speedometer. Its very strange.
Well you have replced the controler and speedo, The only thing left is the wire. Have you checked the wire with an ohm meter. You said you visualy checked it. The wire diagam shows this wire as being white.
With the speedo unpluged and putting a AA battry to it with the + side to where the white wire connects you should read ~7mph. This would test the speedo for you.
You can also put the bike on its center stand and check voltage on white wire from controller for voltage with motor running ~ 12v at full throttle.
Hope this helps
After checking again and disconnecting my voltage meter from the battery guage and reconnecting, it turns out I don't have anything coming back to the speedo and battery guage. I have 66.5 volts going to the speedo as it was before but I am not getting a reading.
It has to be the wiring somewhere along the way to the controller doesn't it? I've replaced the controller and the speedo but there is no readings so it has to be the wiring. I am just trying to figure out where along the line would be the weak point that would come apart.
Any thoughts would help.
I tried the battery suggstion but I couldn't get a reading that way either.
Without a detailed schematic your only choice and I know from experience it is a pain, is to start tracing those affected wires back. I suspect the wire that was shorted has burned open. It should not be hard to find the scorched section of wire or connector contact. It will just take time and be patient.
I had a Luyan PB707 before my present bike and I took the time and mapped the whole harness as there were several of these bikes in our club. So we would have a schematic to sort out future problems.
Bike: 2008 Volt Canada Dream Ryder
Thanks for the input Oshawa -- the pride of Ontario! ;)
It looks like I will have to trace all the wires....oh what a horrible pain.......:(
I did the crime, now I've got to do the time!
Cheers and Happy Scooting!
If you missed it here is the link to the wiring diagram
You may already have it, if not it should help
Hopefully -look for black wire(-48 to -60v going to the battery volume indicator and speedo ,which takes + (signal)from white wire from controller.The other takes + from +48 to +60v before dc conv.
Thanks to everyone for posting. I appreciate the help.
So here is the story:
Instead of taking the bike apart I did a contiunity test on each of the cables running from the controller area to the speedo. Everything was fine so I concluded there is nothing wrong with the wiring.
I tested the voltage coming to the front of the bike it was fine (66 Volts -- I am running 60V).
What I realized is that the connectors on these bikes are very, very fragile and low in quality. It doesn't take much to cause loose connections. I found that if I jiggled the connections I would get the battery and speedo to work for a second or cut off.
I went to my local hardware store bought a bunch of automotive quality connectors and recconnected everything I could with new connectors. Everything works as it should now and is much more secure.
From my experience if you like to mod your bike and have to take it apart a lot I would replace as many connectors as possible because eventually they wont hold together. From taking the connectors apart I found that they weren't consistently put together and not always well crimped. Of course I understand that this is a low cost Chinese built bike and they are not built to automotive standards, and I accept that premise. I am not knocking X-Treme on this because they do give you value for your money (IMHO)
I don't think anyone expected people to take them apart continually to modify like some of us on this site do. So I guess this is something to watch out for.
Cheers and Happy Scooting!
Glad you found the problem. Now grab a broom and sweep up all the hair you pulled out!
If only I had any left to pull out :(
LOL - there are WORSE problems to have ;)
I am facing the same problem with my scooter. Which of the connector did you change. The one on front of the speedo harness or the connector
linking controler to the front wiring. Thanks
That goes double for anything that must carry significant power:
For high power applications, I use the RadioShack "grubb screw" terminal strips or Anderson PowerPole connectors for locations that don't need to thread through an axle nut for removal.