Vectrix rear brakes scraping noise

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Morrison
Vectrix rear brakes scraping noise

I am at 7 weeks and about 1,500 miles.

My only complaint is the sound of the brakes. Dave and I met with our Vectrix scooters to compare and test. He has a center stand which enabled us to get the rear tire in the air and spin it with power without the scooter moving.

Clearly the rear brake pads are touching the rear disk and making a scraping noise. This was happening on both of our Vectrix scooters. It is difficult to hear with a helmet on.

Try going into a quiet/empty parking garage. Remove your helmet and ride around. Listen for the scraping noise near the rear brakes. Have someone else ride your Vectrix and go back and forth in front of you.

Let me know if you hear the same type of noise and if there is a fix for it.

A motorcycle mechanic told me there is no way to adjust the brakes to fix that.

eyeinthesky
eyeinthesky's picture
Re: Vectrix rear brakes scraping noise

You silly wackers, would you notice if your Harley made that noise?
any bike on the market makes gearbox, brake and wheel noises,
Ya just cant hear them over the engine.

duca

I can't believe it! This is the most normal thing on a motorbike: if you listen well, you can hear the breaking pads working on every bike. My other bike is a Ducati ST2 with plenty of engine and gear noises, but when I go full on the brakes I can hear the "ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!" of the front brake working.
I suppose if you take out the helmet, make all the town stop and be silent, put your ear on the soil, maybe you'll hear the grass grow...

moccasin
moccasin's picture

Almost all motorcycles with disc brakes use a "Fixed Caliper" system. Unlike the floating calipers that your car uses, the fixed caliper systems will maintain pad to rotor contact at all times. If they didn't you'd have to have way more lever travel to make up the difference.

Your sound is normal, and does not represent a problem with the bike.

Morrison

I understand what you guys are saying. The Vectrix is my first motorcycle of any type, so I am not used to these issues.

To a newbie owner with no prior "fixed caliper" experience, it sounds really weird to hear that scraping noise.

I will try to ignore it based on what you have told me.

Thanks.

moccasin
moccasin's picture

I will try to ignore it based on what you have told me.

The standard advice for brake noise on a regular motorcycle is "Get louder pipes!", but I suppose that wouldn't work so well with the Vectrix, eh? HAHA!! :-)

One of the biggest complaints I read about the Myers Motors NMG electic car is that the motor is so quiet that you hear all the other noised associated with a car that you wouldn't normally here. Suspension, brakes, tire noise, electric clicks, wind noise, etc. No such thing as a "quiet" ride I suppose, other than maybe a glider plane.

jmap
jmap's picture

I am at 7 weeks and about 1,500 miles.

My only complaint is the sound of the brakes. Dave and I met with our Vectrix scooters to compare and test. He has a center stand which enabled us to get the rear tire in the air and spin it with power without the scooter moving.

Clearly the rear brake pads are touching the rear disk and making a scraping noise. This was happening on both of our Vectrix scooters. It is difficult to hear with a helmet on.

Try going into a quiet/empty parking garage. Remove your helmet and ride around. Listen for the scraping noise near the rear brakes. Have someone else ride your Vectrix and go back and forth in front of you.

Let me know if you hear the same type of noise and if there is a fix for it.

A motorcycle mechanic told me there is no way to adjust the brakes to fix that.
------------

The mechanic is right but the good news is that the noise tends to get lower with the time... Mine is 900km and almost don't hear it and in the beginning I did...

moccasin
moccasin's picture

If you can't hear it at speed with a helmet on, it ain't broke! :-)

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage