did this happen to you? - very scary

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
cdragut
cdragut's picture
did this happen to you? - very scary

well, on my way home from work, i was waiting at a stop sign to enter a main road... it was rush hour, so i had to be prepared to quickly merge the traffic... i spotted a gap, and i started with full throttle... and guess what?... it STALLED!!!... no power, no instrumentation... DEAD!!! before it showed about 30 miles range, and about 10 bars left... luckily i managed to go in the center turn lane, barely avoiding being smashed by the incoming traffic... after 4, or 5 ignition on/off, it came to life, and i made it safe home... what if it happens again?!
any thoughts?

thanks, and be safe, cd.

Mik
Mik's picture
Re: did this happen to you? - very scary

I have not heard of this fault before.

At first it appeared similar to a main fuse failure, but when the fuse fails that's it, it will not come on again.

The fuse failures I have seen also happened whilst cruising, not during startup.

Mr. Mik

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

Buzby
Buzby's picture

I had a similar experience - but it was my stupidity (and I've done it on petrol bikes too). Inadvertently bumping the engine kill switch which sits proud on the throttle support. It had been bumpede bot not 'thown', but the GO light went off and I was stranded. Went through the mental check list and cycled the switch and all was well again.

- Raymond

Mik
Mik's picture

I had a similar experience - but it was my stupidity (and I've done it on petrol bikes too). Inadvertently bumping the engine kill switch which sits proud on the throttle support. It had been bumpede bot not 'thown', but the GO light went off and I was stranded. Went through the mental check list and cycled the switch and all was well again.

Your experience was similar, but an important difference seems to be that there was "no power, no instrumentation" in cdragut's fault situation.
I cannot see how the kill switch could have caused it.

Mr. Mik

Buzby
Buzby's picture

On the day it happened I lost all LCD panels, the ONLY thing to work was the analogue speedo, which increased in line with the throttle turn, but of course no progress. On treying to replicate it back at base I cannot, as a positive movement of the kill switch leaves the LCDs powered up

- Raymond

Mik
Mik's picture

On the day it happened I lost all LCD panels, the ONLY thing to work was the analogue speedo, which increased in line with the throttle turn, but of course no progress. On treying to replicate it back at base I cannot, as a positive movement of the kill switch leaves the LCDs powered up

Was it maybe the throttle calibration procedure described in my first ever post at http://visforvoltage.org/forum/2206-vectrix-owners-new-amp-prospective#comment-11891 ?

That post did not mention that there is a tiny screw inside the setting screw that needs to be loosened and then re-tightened when the setting is correct, to hold it at the correct setting.

Mr. Mik

Buzby
Buzby's picture

That's a fair assumption - it would rise to the 40's when the throttle was turned and you didn't go anywhere. As this was only spotted when the kill switch was inadvertently triggered, it did give me cause for concern until I knew what had happened!

- Raymond

jmap
jmap's picture

well, on my way home from work, i was waiting at a stop sign to enter a main road... it was rush hour, so i had to be prepared to quickly merge the traffic... i spotted a gap, and i started with full throttle... and guess what?... it STALLED!!!... no power, no instrumentation... DEAD!!! before it showed about 30 miles range, and about 10 bars left... luckily i managed to go in the center turn lane, barely avoiding being smashed by the incoming traffic... after 4, or 5 ignition on/off, it came to life, and i made it safe home... what if it happens again?!
any thoughts?

thanks, and be safe, cd.
------------
CD

This has happened me once at the beggining. The red sign appeard and had to turn it off. I turned it on and everything was fine again. Never happened again since then and I have 900km by now.

undead

Have done 300 miles so far and not had this problem, will watch out for it though

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage