PL 350 Motor is Weak

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
kbdog
PL 350 Motor is Weak

I fitted my wife's rather heavy trike with a PL350 (purchased second hand). It is sluggish when compared to my other identical but brand new kit on a lighter bike. The motor sound is much quieter in forward but not re-gen.
Is there a way of checking that the motor is not damaged in some way? It seems to be working perfectly except for low power. Even on the level, the speed is limited. The brake is working perfectly.

JDJ
Re: PL 350 Motor is Weak

Hi kbdog:
Since you have a PL350, I assume you have a 36 volt LiON battery. Do you know how many hours or re charges it has had?? If the re-gen braking is working fine, then the 1st place I would start to check is the voltage that the controller is receiving or letting thru to the motor. With no moving parts or gears, it is hard to imagine anything going wrong with the 350 motor itself other than coil windings or a short and then I don't think it would even operate for very long before a complete failure. Try to check or have someone check, the voltage thru the whole system. In this system, the 1st thing to generally fail is a battery and there can be a lot of reasons. Overheated too many times, poor charging or discharging practices, poor conections in or out of the battery and or wires along the frame. Also, how much weight difference are you talking?? 50 or 60 lbs more on the trike shouldn't make it that sluggish but you might want to download some of the controller codes and try to elevate the 0008 code up towards 4.0 from whatever is has been set at just to see if the trike needs more power at any given level of assistance. Good luck.
JDJ

kbdog
Re: PL 350 Motor is Weak

Hi JDJ:
Thanks for your helpful reply. The controller turned out to be the problem and a full reset and reprogram has done the trick. Luckily I have two Bionx bikes and when the controllers were switched, the problem moved to the other bike.
To cut a long story short, both bikes are now working perfectly and my wife and I hope to take advantage of some fine weather tomorrow.

On the Humber Trail.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage