Vectrix Range Real World Record

112 posts / 0 new
Last post
AndY1
AndY1's picture
Re: Vectrix Range Real World Record

:-(

I just came back from the lake ride (57km) and the battery fan keeps running when I turned the bike off. At least didn't get any BATHOT. Outside temperature is 17'C.

moccasin
moccasin's picture

and the battery fan keeps running when I turned the bike off. At least didn't get any BATHOT. Outside temperature is 17'C.

That is not unusual at all, and sometimes the fans will come on minutes after you have walked away from the bike.

eyeinthesky
eyeinthesky's picture

Blank connector at rear of scooter is for optional bike stand "kill switch"

Mik
Mik's picture

:-(

I just came back from the lake ride (57km) and the battery fan keeps running when I turned the bike off. At least didn't get any BATHOT. Outside temperature is 17'C.

The charger might terminate charging if the temperature in the un-fanned battery is too high, but you might be able to ride on and do damage when the un-fanned battery is hot.

This would be most dangerous if you start to ride after fully charging and heating your battery, then ride hard to heat if further.

If you get a BATHOT during riding, AndY1, you must stop to avoid damage
, or at least continue only very slowly, until your second battery fan is fixed.

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

AndY1
AndY1's picture

I know ;-) I didn't get any BATHOT while riding and I waited 1 hour after I charged (not fully) the battery.

AndY1
AndY1's picture

I have good news. The tech came by this afternoon (he came all the way from Poland with all spare parts in the car) and replaced the whole air plenum. The front fan wasn't working, so he replaced it all. He also calibrated the throttle handle bar.

When I start charging now, I distinctly hear another fan below and front to the front the seat, wind is being sucked much more in the front grills than before and now the wind is blowing out at both back shock absorbers. Before, it was blowing out only at the left shock absorber (looking from behind).

tom5007

congratulations! you must be the happiest man in the world with a Vectrix ready to go, fully charged and without BatHot problems. After all it was a good piece of advice that fans during charging sound like: grrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMHMMMHMMMHMMMHMMM.....
..................grrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMHMMMHMMMHMMMHMMM.....

We should add this to the Vetctrix WIKI :-)

Norm

Mik
Mik's picture

congratulations! you must be the happiest man in the world with a Vectrix ready to go, fully charged and without BatHot problems. After all it was a good piece of advice that fans during charging sound like: grrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMHMMMHMMMHMMMHMMM.....
..................grrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMHMMMHMMMHMMMHMMM.....

Norm

And thanks to this collaborative effort we also know how to diagnose which fan is not working. Take note of the difference in air stream on each side as described by AndY1.

Because this nonsense of always replacing everything might make sense for problem analysis by Vectrix Corp, but once the warranty is gone you want targeted, efficient and cheap fixes.

AndY1
AndY1's picture

Norm

I am :-) I love the bike :D

I charged through the night and I periodically checked the bike's info and it's all great now!

Anderson

It would be interesting to see how much further you could go by using a small generator to power just the 12 volt things like the lights and the fans. In the picture here you can see the one that I have is small enough to fit in the trunk.

generator.jpg

paulyd134

F.Y.I, I would believe that the record would belong to a Vectrix owner in Mudgee NSW. She reported to me that she is getting 100klm's range at between 60 - 70kph. hope this helps.

paulyd134

The pulg you are talking about is for the center stand if fitted to lock the start sequence if the stand is down, it should also show up on the dashboard if activated. cheers.

Mik
Mik's picture

[b]F.Y.I, I would believe that the record would belong to a Vectrix owner in Mudgee NSW. She reported to me that she is getting 100klm's range at between 60 - 70kph. hope this helps.

Do you believe her?

kevin smith
kevin smith's picture

hi raymond hope all is going well with vectrix .? as i am a newbi to this site and not long just purchased a vectrix myself .i have owned several 7 electric scooter over the space of 6 years and somehow love the things even there so unpredictable . speek soon kevin from leeds.

Rogresalor
Rogresalor's picture

Need a half hour to read it.

I'm Dutch, but my English is not bad and very good (not my words in kind).

One thing: Respect!

Keep that title close, you earn it!

My record is:
ECO-Lectric 909 (104 kilogram + 95 kilogram bodymass = 199 kilo and airprussure is behind 4,2 ATM and forewheel is at 3,2 ATM.
Battery 5 time in serie VRLA (Lead Aced) 12 volt 18 Ah FIAMM-GS. Fourthyfive kilometers (45 km). Ambient outdoor 23 degrees Celsius. Delta 24 meter in height.

The dealer has this story on his site, but it is Dutch and a long story. I've also an electric Bike; ANWB Adventure X10.
Record ANWB Adventure X10, mass 28 + 95 = 123 kilo, air pressure Back-Front 3,8 ATM, 2,0 ATM. Battery NiMH GP batteries 20 x 1,2 volt 10 Ah (peakhold) = 240 watt (our watt/hour?)
Thirthyeight kilometer (38) to zero pedalsupport. The first 25 kilometer the batteries performs at peak and then it drops slowly but still faster. (new bike, test 5th charging from new). Ambient outdoor 16 degrees Celsius.

Why so detailed? Because my 'straight to the sea' strategy. I study it and I'm here I'm studying for Chemistry and batteries is chemistry.

May I kindly ask the topicstarter the capacity off is batteries and ambient?

Jimmy

Mik
Mik's picture

I think I found the explanation for your battery heating problem:

Only one of the two fans inside your Vectrix' battery housing is running.

It explains every symptom. It might be hard or easy to fix. Maybe the connector is improperly pushed down and only two of the three poles are making contact.

Maybe the fan motor is broken, or maybe the electronics do not send 12V to one of the fans.

There is another possibility: Animal invasion! A mouse, snake or various insects could have made the cooling exhaust system their home. It's an ideal spot for it if the scooter is not running regularly; there is no mesh at the exit, unlike at the front entry points.

Here is how to fix it:

//i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk217/Mr_Mik/Vectux/Battery/Battery%20rework%205%20BMS/th_DSC06228.jpg)
//i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk217/Mr_Mik/Vectux/Battery/Battery%20rework%205%20BMS/th_DSC06227.jpg)

AndY1
AndY1's picture

Guys, I think that 100km at 40km/h is doable.

I did a 16.7km long run at exactly 40km/h at 0:40AM, when there's no traffic at all, I have a long stretch of road available through towns, without any curves (straight road) and all traffic lights are flashing yellow at night, so I didn't have to stop or brake at all.
3rd bar disappeared at 16km done and my battery bars go to 0 without any disappearance when empty. My estimated range left after 16.7km was at 85km left. It is 11'C temperature outside, I weigh 77kg without equipment. If I had the time and will, I would have driven all the way to the 90-100km range, but I didn't find it necessary, because I knew I could have done the range.

My dashboard when done:
//www.shrani.si/f/L/fG/1m8zN8sr/05042009079.jpg)

Map:
//www.shrani.si/t/2v/hu/7xHa0CP/map.jpg)

I drove both ways where the red line is and turned around in large junctions without stopping.

Sandy

I don't write much but I do like to see what is going on out there.
Real world range. Well, I live in the Isle of Man, home of the T.T. and for the hell of it I took my Vectrix round the T.T. course. I believe that I can safely claim to have a T.T. course record as the slowest lap this century. However, the good news is that I was able to complete the course and return home on a single charge. a total distance covered of 51.1 miles. The course is not flat, there are many undulations on the road, between St John's and Kirk Micheal the road climbs to 400ft and from Ramsey (sea level) the mountain road climbs to 1400 ft approx. O.K. I wasn't in a hurry, it was a nice day but breezy, I used gentle acceleration with no hard riding at all. Average speed was probably about 30mph. I think that for an electric bike that is acceptable.
Bye the way. there is a lot of very interesting information on the 'Tesla' electric car site. Most interesting is a statement on battery life expectancy. Although they are using Li-ion batteries they offer the driver/owner the following tip for extending the life of the battery. Charge the battery only sufficient for the journey to be undertaken. Use full charge only where necessary. This fits with all of the battery theory that I understand as the enemy of longevity is heat and overcharging. I now charge the Vectrix for the journeys which I do in the following way. After use, I generally run the battery well down each time out, I leave it to stand for a few hours then I put it on charge for one hour using a time switch. This puts some 10 A/Hrs into the battery. Before use I put the bike back on charge for two hours in which time the battery charges up to about 80% / 90% of full. I get a regular 32 to 40 mile range on this method. My journeys invariably start with a 1000 ft climb out of the village where I live, back down to sea level about 10 miles, some running around at sea level followed by the return home via the 1000ft climb and down the hill to home. Before I return home I use up any spare battery power on a 3 mile level road near the hill top. By I get home I usually have one bar of battery left and, due to the downhill ride, a promise of some 7 to 17 miles to go on the distance indicator.
Whether any of this helps anyone out there is another matter. I like my Vectrix and I just love riding it. I would like a better range and I think that there is some room for improvement. Vectrix are reluctant to talk to 'peasants' like me, so the improvements won't happen in a hurry. Pity really, I am an Electronics engineer with considerable experience in Traction and Mechanical engineering. Oh well, their loss not mine.

Mik
Mik's picture

You might have to wait for Vectrix Corp to come to the party forever!

But, you can help to get things going, by contributing using your EE knowledge:

http://visforvoltage.org/book/ev-collaborative-hand-books/6146

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9714

http://visforvoltage.org/forum/5304-undead039s-experiences-new-firmware#comment-34244

I have lots and lots more of questions.....

Mik
Mik's picture

Before I return home I use up any spare battery power on a 3 mile level road near the hill top. By I get home I usually have one bar of battery left and, due to the downhill ride, a promise of some 7 to 17 miles to go on the distance indicator.

Why do you do this? My understanding is it will cause unnecessary battery damage. It is also different from your nice write-up there: http://visforvoltage.org/forum/5386-charging-cycles-question#comment-32623

Ideally the battery should not be discharged to less than 10% of it's total capacity.

kevin smith
kevin smith's picture

sorry to be pesamistic but does the rider weigh
aprox 4stone ?? seems too good to be true.?????

Pages

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage