Wilderness Energy BL-36 at 48V -- Any Advice?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
engr_scotty
engr_scotty's picture
Wilderness Energy BL-36 at 48V -- Any Advice?

Hi,

I am considering a used, local BL-36 and would like to run it with a 48V ping battery. I've read about the BD 36 at 48V and it sounds like the LED charge indicator will not work, which is OK. I don't want this to be an engineering project, so do you see any other shortcomings for running a 48V Life (probably 12Ah) on the BL-36? Any mods to the controller necessary?

Thanks,
Scott

icecube57
Re: Wilderness Energy BL-36 at 48V -- Any Advice?

I see no problem at all. Go for it!

rjarois
rjarois's picture

scotty, just slap the pack on and ride....everything works normally....i have over 350miles on mine so far, no hick-ups...
review this link.... http://visforvoltage.org/forum/3697-bl36-enhancements-standard-system

dogman
dogman's picture

The only issue could be the sise of the battery. In my opinion the larger sise, like 20 ah is cheapest since it will get less stress on it in use. I don't think the max continuous specification is going to give the number of cycles that the 1c rate, of 1amp per amp hour will. The test is at 1c. If you have hills, then you will inevitably draw more than max continuous at some time. I know the price is high, but the idea is to not have to pay it again for many years. A few posters I have seen who complain about the pack losing capacity have invariably exceeded 1c in my opinion. Email Ping and order directly from him to get the best price.

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

engr_scotty
engr_scotty's picture

Thanks!.. The 48V 12ah is tempting for 2 reasons: lower cost and weight. I do have rolling hills, so I am hoping this BL-36 (400W) will work in this environment. My test ride was on relatively flat ground with a 2y/old NiMH 36V battery, and it performed OK, going about 17mph on the flats.

One other question: I bought the bike/BL-36 minus the controller(15A) and batteries. I need a replacement controller for 48V. Any suggestions? /source links?

Your help is greatly appreciated!
Scotty

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage