Rack failure!!!

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Richard145
Rack failure!!!

I had a rack failure on the way home from the store yesterday. I heard an unusual sound about a mile from home, but didn't notice until I got home. I have 4 x 12v/12Ah SLAs on the stock rack for the BD36. The weight seemed to be no problem (supposed to be designed to hold 40#, pack is about 35#). The way that I had it strapped on with a ratchet strap seemed to be the problem. I had it strapped on just to the top part of the rack, but should have looped under the bottom brace at least once. I think that the bouncing caused the pack to bounce up in a way that caused the weld to break in an upward motion. I may have also had the strap so tight that inward force may have contributed to the weld break. I tried J-B Weld, no way would that work. To have it re-welded would be at least $20. I ordered a rack from ebay that is supposed to hold up to 55# for a little over $20, and I'll strap it on looping under the bottom braces, not as tightly next time.

icecube57
Re: Rack failure!!!

Thats odd. I have the WE stock rack and at the time I had an MTX trunk bag to hold 5-SLA 12AH batteries and it held up like a champ even on offroading trails.

dogman
dogman's picture

Depends on the quality of the weld. You got the good ones.

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

Richard145

The rack that was supposed to hold 55 pounds was not as good quality as the stock rack, so I just ordered another stock rack from Bernson EV. Also talked to a guy at my daughter's school who said that he would be willing to weld for free if I have another weld break. I resold the other rack on ebay, so wasn't out much on that.

Gasoline? No thanks.
RL

JLGRAU

I have a Delta brand rack. No problem with 36 v. I'll bet it could hold 50 lbs. The only thing you then have to worry about is whether screws/fittings are too tightly fastened.
What can happen is over-tightening strips the threading.
A seat post beam type rack is out of the question as they set weight limits to 20 or 25 lbs. Personally, I'd like to find a seat post beam rack that also has bars that are fastened to the rear bottom of the bike frame. Another cool idea would be to find a rack that has a little spring/suspension in the support bars.

Samspeed
Samspeed's picture

"cool idea would be to find a rack that has a little spring/suspension in the support bars."

That is a very cool idea. Being able to support x number of pounds is one thing but withstanding the g-loads going over the potholes and railroad tracks is a different matter.

I've put an extra pad of styrofoam packing material under my SLAs and it does help absorb the shock on those bumpy rides. Bet it takes a lot of the load off the rack and bet the batteries like it too.

And happy new year!

Stock BL36 on a 10yo Schwinn Searcher
She got wheels in her smiles, she can coast along for miles...

JLGRAU

I just bought a 2009 kit on Ebay. It's made by the same people who make Wilderness: Brushless, supposedly regenerative and compatible w/ 36 or 48 volts. Can put out up to 1200 watts. But it is not a wilderness
Anyways, the included bike rack attaches to the seat post and rear bottom of frame. This is a neat set up and makes it harder to steal the seat post.
Top speed is 25 mph or 30 mph. The battery bag will hold either 36 v 12 ah or 48 v 7 ah. I'm just worried about the 35 amp controller. Hopefully this kit will work out.
Happy new year

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage