Battery and Temperature sign Warning

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
jmap
jmap's picture
Battery and Temperature sign Warning

Hello

I have 900Km done and every time that I have drove on rain, the battery and temperature sign started to blink and only stop after staying on the garage for few minutes. This happen me twice with normal rain after driving about 10 km.

Can anyone have a clue about the reason behind it?

Could be a bad sensor?

Thanks
JP

siai47
Re: Battery and Temperature sign Warning

Funny you should mention the rain. I got the same problem after washing the bike. About a half mile into the ride after washing, the battery and overtemp light illuminated briefly as I was slowing for a stop. Nothing else abnormal, the light went back out and hasn't been on since. Something must be getting wet in the electronics but I can't believe its the sensors as they are buried deep in the battery pack. Maybe you shouldn't ride in the rain and I shouldn't wash my mine!

Morrison

When I wash my Vectrix, I don't really get the entire thing wet.
I just use some paper towels and Windex on all of the plastic surfaces.

Do you use something else?

jmap
jmap's picture

Mr. Mik, do you have any clue on this? The guys on Vectrix support here in Portugal don't know what is it...

Mik
Mik's picture

I have not had this problem, and it buckets here at times, and I use a hose to wash the Vectux.

But to take a guess at it:

The battery temperature sensors connectors might be getting wet, and the front battery sensor connector is less protected from water than the rear one.

Maybe it is incorrectly installed or getting wet for some other reason? The photos were taken during disassembly to fix the motor controller smoldering issue.

Let us know if you ever get to the bottom of this problem, please!

Mr. Mik

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

jmap
jmap's picture

Many thanks

I will transmit this info to them...

My intuitive opinion (without any knowledge of the circuit) is the same. In the beginning (less than 200km) this sensor started to blink when the battery were nearly the end. The support told me that was usual and after the 5 recommended discharges the blinking signs would disappear and they were right, at lest the problem improoved... until it got rain. Nevertheless, since then I never let the battery come nearly to the end and then I don’t know if the problem persists. Intuitively I would say that the sensor is damaged or badly protected.

Sorry for my English…

Thanks once more
JP

jmap
jmap's picture

Now, I know for sure what’s going on. The Battery and Temperature sign Warning are displayed when I get cool temperatures (under about 20ºC). The assistance told me that it a software problem and it’s going to be fine in the next upgrade. Told me also the more people were experiencing this problem. Anyone here? I just don’t realize if it is a software problem how doesn’t affect all the Vectrix scooters… Does it have different pieces or configurations?

Vectrix-NH

Hi
The tec. that did my battery recall said his did that in cold weather.
It is proble the differant in temp. the front batterys are cool as the air enters and the back one still hot enuff to trip the warning for diferant temp readings.

Happy riding.

rgx

I too have this problem now, at around 10-15 °C outdoor temp. Looking forward to the firmware upgrade.

Mik
Mik's picture

I wonder if the low temperature measurement originates in the same cells that get too hot on hot days , i.e. the 34 cells in the lowest layer.
They are exposed to some air flow during riding even without the fans running.

Wotnopetrol

I too have this problem now, at around 10-15 °C outdoor temp. Looking forward to the firmware upgrade.

As the ambient temp in the UK is dropping, the geographical points at which the 1st, 2nd & 3rd battery segments on my usual trip into work are getting closer and closer to home . Not by too much, but my battery was only at 14c after the weekend of sitting doing nothing after a full charge on Friday night.

There must be an optimal battery operating temperature I suppose, being that they are chemical. I know lead acid batteries are affected quite badly by the cold.

I do wonder if I should leave charging on a timer to finish just before I go to work to get the battery up to 21c, which is the normal finishing temperature after charging. (So far anyway, this may change as it gets colder)

Simon

jmap
jmap's picture

I wonder if the low temperature measurement originates in the same cells that get too hot on hot days , i.e. the 34 cells in the lowest layer.
They are exposed to some air flow during riding even without the fans running.

If the problem is present in many vectrix's then it can be just a simple problem like a bad formula that must be rectified in the next software upgrade. My question was, why only me, if it were a software problem, it should be happening to everyone except if some misplaced or different configuration could trigger the warning by software error.

Hermes

In Britain it rains all the bloody time, is this happening to our British riders?

Buzby
Buzby's picture

Well, I got soaked today and I didn;t see the problem - despite looking out for it....

- Raymond

tom5007

same here got soaked but scooty keeps running like a treat. Norman

jmap
jmap's picture

My experience says that the problem is not the rain. The warning is triggered if the outside temperature is bellow 20ºC (more or less).

Hermes

My experience says that the problem is not the rain. The warning is triggered if the outside temperature is bellow 20ºC (more or less).

Which would be most of the year in northern regions..

AndY1
AndY1's picture

I don't think that's correct. I've been driving in 3ºC in thick fog to work everyday and I never get any kind of any warning. Through the night, the bike is parked in the garage, where it's 15ºC.

jmap
jmap's picture

I don't think that's correct. I've been driving in 3ºC in thick fog to work everyday and I never get any kind of any warning. Through the night, the bike is parked in the garage, where it's 15ºC.

That only proves, and judging by what Vectrix support is telling (that is a problem resolved by next firmware update), that ours have different components/configurations.

Mik
Mik's picture

There is a possibility that the person telling jmap that it is a software issue is partly correct.

If that is the case, then the software upgrade will probably just increase the tolerance for temperature differences which the system logic uses to decide if or if not to turn the warning light on.

The underlying problem remains: The cells are exposed to significantly different environmental (temperature) conditions. This will most likely lead to pre-mature ageing and failure of some cells, and hence failure of the whole pack.

There is also a possibility that they are just trying to talk their way out of it and it is not at all a software issue.

There could be a variety of causes underlying the varied symptom combinations described by riders here. Some seem to get the problem when it is cold, some when it is cold or raining.

I wonder if it could in some cases be due to condensation somewhere inside the scooter?

Buzby
Buzby's picture

Is there any known start-up sequence that can let an owner discover what software revision is currently being used by his machine - without having to go down the route of plugging in a PC....? My runs in the rain average 10C and I've not seen anything above 20C ambient since early September....

- Raymond

tom5007

how to tell which software or better firmware version is installed on your Vectri? I recently received the October load and the only difference I could see is that with the new firmware you can only switch off the headlight while at standstill. The old version allowed to switchoff the headlight while driving. Norm

jmap
jmap's picture

There is a possibility that the person telling jmap that it is a software issue is partly correct.

If that is the case, then the software upgrade will probably just increase the tolerance for temperature differences which the system logic uses to decide if or if not to turn the warning light on.

The underlying problem remains: The cells are exposed to significantly different environmental (temperature) conditions. This will most likely lead to pre-mature ageing and failure of some cells, and hence failure of the whole pack.

There is also a possibility that they are just trying to talk their way out of it and it is not at all a software issue.

There could be a variety of causes underlying the varied symptom combinations described by riders here. Some seem to get the problem when it is cold, some when it is cold or raining.

I wonder if it could in some cases be due to condensation somewhere inside the scooter?

Despite what they say, I still suspect that I have a bad sensor...

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage