Accessory socket

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Wotnopetrol
Accessory socket

Oh what a shame they limited the accessory socket to only .5 amp.

I still haven't got my Vectrix, a couple of days to go now, but I was reading through the manual when I came across these limitations.

I wanted to fit some handlebar speakers and a tiny amp so that I could listen to my DAB radio on the way to work, as I do on both my other bikes. Very useful for traffic reports and a bit of company on my commute, I may have to use headphones perhaps.

The power available seems to be no good for anything else than, as they say, charging a mobile phone. I was also hoping to run my heated jacket (only 35 watts at full pelt) in the winter time.

A small electric pump for punctures would have been useful to be able to run also, as I carry one of those normally. They have got me out of trouble on more than one occasion with slow punctures.

C02 inflation cylinders would be an alternative to that problem I suppose...No no, more C02!

Oh well, I'll just have to throw a little 5AmH 12v battery in the glove box to run this stuff and keep it charged regularly.

Simon.

Buzby
Buzby's picture
Re: Accessory socket

I think you're asking for too much! I've used the socket for my GPS, mobile and sundry low-draw accessories. A 35w heated jacket would seriously impact on range... not a problem when there's a dynamo involved as there is in petrol engines, but you've got a finite resource there that cannot be recharged until you get back home, so the expense of carrying a 12v electric pump with you, never mind watching your range disappear as the tyre inflates makes a foot pump the only sensible option - or, the Co2 cylinder you mentioned. I'm just delighted there IS a 12v socket, it would have been easy for Vectrix to say no chance....!

- Raymond

Wotnopetrol

I think you're asking for too much! I've used the socket for my GPS, mobile and sundry low-draw accessories. A 35w heated jacket would seriously impact on range... not a problem when there's a dynamo involved as there is in petrol engines, but you've got a finite resource there that cannot be recharged until you get back home, so the expense of carrying a 12v electric pump with you, never mind watching your range disappear as the tyre inflates makes a foot pump the only sensible option - or, the Co2 cylinder you mentioned. I'm just delighted there IS a 12v socket, it would have been easy for Vectrix to say no chance....!

I've just been far too spoilt in the past, my RT has no less than 3 power sockets which were all on a 15amp fuses! I'd run a GPS from the dash socket, a heated jacket for me and another for my pillion from the other two. As I said, I have been a very spoilt rider for years, this is a whole new philisophy, haha!

So, I have a lovely little 5AmH gel battery which will run the heated jacket for a few commutes before it needs recharging. It's 35 watts at top heat setting, but you can't keep it at that for long, you have to turn down the power. It still draws 35 watts but it pulses it with longer off periods if you want it to be cooler. It works a treat and only takes seconds to warm up. It'd be great for you Raymond up there in the winter time!

Now what would be really neat is if I could work it so that the 5Amh battery charged at the same time as the Vectrix battery but FROM the accessory socket. It would be like having a service and leisure battery on a boat.

Simon.

Simon

Wotnopetrol

Just got a call to say mine will be ready to pick up by the end of the week, I'm really looking forward to it. :-)

Simon

undead

Just got a call to say mine will be ready to pick up by the end of the week, I'm really looking forward to it. :-)

Great news - you will love it!

Mik
Mik's picture

I've just been far too spoilt in the past, my RT has no less than 3 power sockets which were all on a 15amp fuses! I'd run a GPS from the dash socket, a heated jacket for me and another for my pillion from the other two. As I said, I have been a very spoilt rider for years, this is a whole new philisophy, haha!

So, I have a lovely little 5AmH gel battery which will run the heated jacket for a few commutes before it needs recharging. It's 35 watts at top heat setting, but you can't keep it at that for long, you have to turn down the power. It still draws 35 watts but it pulses it with longer off periods if you want it to be cooler. It works a treat and only takes seconds to warm up. It'd be great for you Raymond up there in the winter time!

Now what would be really neat is if I could work it so that the 5Amh battery charged at the same time as the Vectrix battery but FROM the accessory socket. It would be like having a service and leisure battery on a boat.

Simon.

Have a look at this if you want accessory power....

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2264

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

AndY1
AndY1's picture

I'm also receiving mine on friday :-) Yippieee!!!

AndY1
AndY1's picture

Is the power socket powerful enough for Garmin Zumo?

moccasin
moccasin's picture

"...Is the power socket powerful enough for Garmin Zumo?..."

Yes.

I just got a call from the DMV.

"We need to talk about your electric scooter VIN number."

Uh,oh...wish me luck boyz & girls! HAHA!! I'm printing off my saved Vectrix VIN Number letter and headed to town! ;-) News at 11...

Buzby
Buzby's picture

It can even support the Streetpilot which is twice the draw of the Zumo!

- Raymond

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage