BL36 Stopped Spinning

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
hairybrew
hairybrew's picture
BL36 Stopped Spinning

Anyone else have this issue...

I've been using the bike for weeks now, and just the other day it decided to die on me after 3 miles in the middle of my ride. When I move the thumb throttle the wheel jerks forward and back about an inch. It doesn't advance and continue spinning.

I don't know much about this, but I'm guessing the current is not switching so it doesn't continue moving forward. I looked at all the wires to make sure something wasn't cut or frayed, took the hub cover off and checked there, and looked under the lid of the controller to see if anything was visibly loose on the board.

What could have caused this?
(On a side note, our car is in the shop until October, so this is especially bad timing.)

LinkOfHyrule
LinkOfHyrule's picture
Re: BL36 Stopped Spinning

Sounds like part of the controller went bad. Unfortunately, that's kind of hard to test without another brushless motor or controller lying around. You don't happen to have either lying around, do you?

The author of this post isn't responsible for any injury, disability or dismemberment, death, financial loss, illness, addiction, hereditary disease, or any other undesirable consequence or general misfortune resulting from use of the "information" contai

hairybrew
hairybrew's picture

As it turns out, I've got a Crystalyte CT3620 and another motor with a bent rim.

Can this controller be used with my motor?
crystalyte.jpg

This other motor has the extra white 5 prong plug. The one I'm using now does not have that plug.
we_motor.jpg

LinkOfHyrule
LinkOfHyrule's picture

Try the controller on the motor with the bent rim. If it spins, it's the BL36. If it doesn't it's the controller.

The CT3620 is for a sensored motor, I think, so no? You'd need another WE controller.

The author of this post isn't responsible for any injury, disability or dismemberment, death, financial loss, illness, addiction, hereditary disease, or any other undesirable consequence or general misfortune resulting from use of the "information" contai

hairybrew
hairybrew's picture

The WE controller does the same thing on the motor with the bent rim. The motor with the bent rim is different in that it has the 5 wires (hall sensors?) so I wasn't sure if this controller would work on it, given that the motor i'm using now doesn't have that plug and would start from a dead stop.

I saw a discussion of this here where wakataka mentioned the new controllers didn't need hall sensors on the hub: http://visforvoltage.org/forum/4790-bl36-brushless-only-3-wires

I'd try the Crystalyte controller, but the plugs are different. I haven't found any information on using the two together.

LinkOfHyrule
LinkOfHyrule's picture

Yeah, sensorless controllers don't need the halls, but they don't get the motors spinning as easily.

The C'lyte won't work on the BL36, but the BL36 controller should run the other motor. You'd have to figure out the right combination of the three wires, though. Just try different ones with a fuse in line with the battery and only give it a little bit of throttle. If you can't make it work, the controller is dead.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage