Scooter Battery Questions

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
kaimana
Scooter Battery Questions

I have a Lashout Scooter that I upgraded with PowerPack Motor/Controller and added additional 12v 10ah battery to run at 36v. I primarily do a short 3 mile run. There is some uphill off road sections and 2 long gradual hills. I carry about 210lbs total with my weight and the stuff I bring along. I have only done this run about 5 times and my batteries are pretty much depleted.

I also do a short run of about 1/2 mile almost daily to p/u and d/o kids at school. I always charge the scooter no matter how long or short my rides. Am I asking to much of my batteries or doing something wrong? Thinking about LifePO4 but worried that they cannot handle load any suggestions are appreciated.

LinkOfHyrule
LinkOfHyrule's picture
Re: Scooter Battery Questions

Sounds like it's time to replace the batteries to me. :/

The author of this post isn't responsible for any injury, disability or dismemberment, death, financial loss, illness, addiction, hereditary disease, or any other undesirable consequence or general misfortune resulting from use of the "information" contai

andys
andys's picture

I have the same scooter and motor as you. That motor will draw down cheap LA batteries really fast. There are some really lame batteries on the market now. You need high rate LA batteries like the B&B or Powersonic HR.

http://www.electricmotorsport.com/store/ems_ev_parts_batteries_bb.php

http://www.batteryplex.com/powersonic-sla-detail.cfm?model=PSH-12100%20FR

That Powerpack set up runs a bit better at 48 volts than 36, but then you need a battery box to fit the batteries. I ran 4 10.5AH high rate batteries in mine for a while, and got 6 to 8 miles a charge, with the speed starting to slow down a bit after 5 miles or so. I am still running those same batteries in anohter scooter just fine a year and 50 charges later.

I now run a 48V 20Ah LIFEPO4 Ping battery in my Lashout, and can go over 20 miles on a charge, and the first 15 there is no change in performance at all. It does not ever cut out on the BMS.

If you want more range and still run 36V, You could run a 36V 20AH Lifepo4, which is pretty small and compact and costs less than the 48V ones.

http://cgi.ebay.com/36V-20AH-LiFePO4-Electric-Scooter-E-Bike-Ping-Battery_W0QQitemZ220284967064QQihZ012QQcategoryZ11332QQssPageN...

In the long run, you'll be glad you went to LIFEPO4. You don't have to charge it after every use if you don't want to. Not much affected by cold weather. No voltage drop after a few miles use like LA. It changed the way I look at my scooter. Before it was just a little neighborhood ride. Now it is actually a reasonable means of mid range transportation.

kaimana

As always Andy you are a great source of info. I put a pretty heavy draw on my batteries with weight, offroad riding and long hill climbs. Do you think I am better off with quality SLA or LifePo? In speaking with the maker of the motor and controller he said pings batteries may not take a heavy load?

LinkOfHyrule
LinkOfHyrule's picture

How big a load? His 20Ah batteries will handle 40A no problem. If you can afford it, he'll make a 30Ah or more if you ask.

The author of this post isn't responsible for any injury, disability or dismemberment, death, financial loss, illness, addiction, hereditary disease, or any other undesirable consequence or general misfortune resulting from use of the "information" contai

andys
andys's picture

I think Tim may be using a higher amp controller right now with his motors than the set up I got from last year. If the continuous draw is under 40 amps, Ping's battery will work. Invest in a Watts up meter, and you can measure your draw accurately.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Watts-Up-RC-Watt-Meter-Power-Analyzer-WU100-Green_W0QQitemZ330272851483QQihZ014QQcategoryZ48618QQssPageNameZ...

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage