Front 5304 Motor On Rear w/Disc

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
damcard
Front 5304 Motor On Rear w/Disc

From what I have read for the specs on the 5304 front motor, the width of the axle is 100mm. I am working to build a serial human electric hybrid e bike that will not use a chain to connect the crank arm to the rear wheel. For that reason, I don't need the cassette on the rear hub motor. I am trying to determine if I can use the front hub motor on the rear. It looks like I will have to replace the axle with a longer one. I understand that will take some fabrication. I figure it will allow me to make a mount for the rear disc brake too. I don't own the motor yet. Does anyone have input on this before I shell out the money for the motor?

Can I replace the axle with a longer one so it will fit in the rear 135mm dropouts?
Anyone put a disk brake on the front wheel 5304 motor before?

After I get the motor working, I want to connect the front crank to a generator to charge the battery pack. Thanks, -David.

Badger
Re: Front 5304 Motor On Rear w/Disc

Yes
Wait a month or two as Crystalyte has released the new hub motors with disc brake mounting holes. I am building a new custom moped/Scoot that will be powered by a front hub on the rear as well. It will not be a high bred but will have a very low center of gravity with more battery weight for extended mileage at a lesser cost.

damcard

Wow, I didn't think anyone cared. Well, I just happen to start thinking about this again recently and ordered http://ebikes.ca/store/photos/M5304FD26.jpg from ebikes.ca. I don't know if it is the new one you referred to or not, but when I saw it had a disc brake mount I just had to try. I hope to get it within a couple weeks. Then I will start building a frame. I am looking at using a long wheelbase recumbent design similar to the gold rush http://www.easyracers.com/images/side_polished.jpg. I want to give it a full suspension. The rear will be easy. I haven't figured out how to do the front with decent travel and keep the correct rake. I will probably try a home made springer fork using a rear shock. I like the design of this bike because I can put all the batteries (I am planning on doing the A123 dewalt packs) along the bottom to put some weight forward. I will add the generator to the crank after I get everything else working. In Texas you can go as fast as the speed limit allows as long as it won't go over 20mph without assisting (pedaling and turning the generator). Plus I have to stay under 100lbs.

VeloChef

I've never done anything like you are thinking, and I'm not an engineer, but I do understand bikes...a fari amount. There is the obvious issue of getting a longer axle; just make sure it a solid one, made out of cromoly - not cheap steel. Keep in mind that there will will be more of the axle sticking out of both sides of the hub that must be centered in the frame. So far, it sounds like it will work, but if there is no suspension in the rear, then all the weight will be unsprung, and could (???) bend the axle because there might be more than should be going out beyone the bearings. Finally, you'll need to either space one side, or both to make the hub rotor align with the (stationaly) caliper that's attached to the bike's frame.

Don't know why you can't just use a rear hub and rim that's ready to go, and just take off the cog (or leave it on)? That's what I'd do...for sure. Unless I'm missing something.

Good luck.

VeloChef

wheelie
wheelie's picture

The crystalyte motors can be ordered with 100, 135 or 150mm drop-outs.... or you can get one of the "project" motors which has a long shaft you can modify. They also come with a coverplate and they can supply discs that will bolt straight on... I'ved made up adapters so I can bolt on some 6 inch motorcycle discs and twin piston go-kart calipers.

Badger

Wow home fabrication is a blast!
I thought about the stronger cart/minibike disc brakes. What ones did you use?

wheelie
wheelie's picture

I don't know what brand the discs themselves are (from a motorcross mini I think)... but the calipers are Italian (cost a packet)- from front two wheels of a go-kart - as my trike has left and right rear discs - on the left and right X5's. They are hydraulic, and have a splitter in the line, so left brake lever (from a 250cc scooter) opperates the rear discs on the 10" inch wheels - and the front wheel is a 19" motorcycle wheel - with twin piston caliper on an 8" rotor, opperated by the right brake lever. Both brake levers have switches for brake lights and regen braking.

wheelie
wheelie's picture

needless to say, stopping power is phenominal.

Badger

Any pic's ?

damcard

I got my 5304 today from ebikes.ca. It came without any dings or dents to my relief. I like the side cover with the brake adapter and am glad I decided to do the front wheel hub motor on the rear. I think its going to look cleaner when I am done. Next I need to decide on a frame. Now that I have it in hand and its weight is not just a number on paper, I am not sure what I want to build the frame out of. If anything comes of it, I will post it here.

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage