LifePo4 lifebatt Cells - Charger and BMS info needed

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
droo
LifePo4 lifebatt Cells - Charger and BMS info needed

Guys,

Still working on putting together my Ebike.

I have got a Crystalite 5304 mortor and lifebatt lifepo 4 cells as well as starting to get some other bits together.

Anyone got any info on a decent Battery managment system (BMS) and or charger. The battery I am putting together is a 48v 10ah setup.

Droo

deronmoped
Re: LifePo4 lifebatt Cells - Charger and BMS info needed

I would check with Ping Batteries. He has a good product and reputation and sells things cheap. He sells the whole setup, battery, BMS and charger as a kit, not sure if he is into just selling the BMS and charger.

Deron.

reikiman
reikiman's picture

Pings batteries are okay if your current level is pretty low discharge rate. But a crystalyte 53xx motor is definitely not a low wattage motor ;-) ...

dogman
dogman's picture

Pings charger will work, but slower than it needs to with lifebatts. Most of his are 2 amp, sometimes he has 4 amp. The bms ought to work too, but you will be stuck with his amp limits. While you may not have too many cut outs, you will be limited to about 40 amps discharge rate by the ping bms. It should work ok, but you may have an occasional cut out when starting up a hill. If your controller has a good lvc, you could just use the bms for charging.

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

erth64net

Pings charger will work, but slower than it needs to with lifebatts. Most of his are 2 amp, sometimes he has 4 amp. The bms ought to work too, but you will be stuck with his amp limits
If your controller has a good lvc, you could just use the bms for charging.

So, for a brushless & sensorless ESC, what makes a good "lvc"? Any recommendations? (I'm aiming for a 24V setup right now)

dogman
dogman's picture

If this is for lifebatts, Don Harmon would have the best info, but I think somewhere around 2.1 v per cell is the death line for lifepo4. So 2.2? I'd be conservative myself and maybe use 2.5v per cell, or 20v for the 24v pack. Maybe even higher, by the time you reach 22 volts the pack will only have a few hundred feet left in it anyway. I find that as soon as I can feel the slightest decrease in my speed, I am about 1/4 mile from bms cutout. I'd rather have a amperage spike cause an early cutout than have the cell die.

I should have also pointed out that relying on the controller for lvc can be risky. The inexpensive bike controllers may not be as reliable as we would like with the cost of lifepo4 riding on it. If just one cell goes flat, it may not shut down the controller if all the others have good voltage. A bms will monitor each cell, not just the whole pack. Over at endless sphere there is a group working on bms, who may have some for sale.

Be the pack leader.

dogman
dogman's picture

Dug the info out of a shpere thread, Pings bms is said to lvc at 2.7v per cell.

Be the pack leader.

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage