Need help for the mechanically challenged for Schwinn Stealth 1000

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
jolo
Need help for the mechanically challenged for Schwinn Stealth 1000

//us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/superkids_2017_4209615)

My son uses a Schwinn Stealth 1000 to go to school and back with and for some getting around the neighborhood.

The problem he is having is when the scooter is locked up, while he is in school.

[size=16]Sometimes kids will press the on button to turn the motor on.
What I need is a suggestion of some way of possible covering up the switch with something that I can add a lock to, to keep it off or some other creative suggestion.
PLEASE remember that I am not "Mr. Mechanic". [/size]

Needless to say, I wish the scooter has a "keyed" start, but what the heck.

Thanks in advance ....Jon T.

Ramma
Re:

I'd say buy a key switch for it. They're fairly cheap and shouldn't be to hard to install. http://www.electricscooterparts.com/ has a small selection of key ignitions for electric scooters.

jolo
Re:

Ramma,

Thanks very much for your reply.

They do seem pretty inexpensive. BUT ..... do you know how to install them ??

Thanks,

Jon

reikiman
reikiman's picture
Re:

http://www.electricscooterparts.com/keyswitches.html

Keyswitches are an electrical switch which opens & closes based on the position of the key. Turn the key, the circuit turns on, turn the key the other way and the circuit turns off.

The exact place to install it would depend on the wiring of the scooter.

Controller-motor If you install it in the wires between the motor & controller or battery & controller .. .that's simple and cuts power to the vehicle pretty well. But it also means the keyswitch has to carry the full current of the vehicle. Those keyswitches look to be low power and unable to carry the 1000w these scooters run. The problem coming from a switch carrying more power than it's rating, is the switch contacts might weld shut or the switch might completely burn out.

Throttle-controller It could be installed on the wires from the throttle to controller. This would make it look to the controller the throttle was OFF.

Existing on-off switch IIRC this scooter does have an on-off switch. Wire the keyswitch on the same circuit as the on-off switch and the keyswitch is another step to turning the scooter on-off.

Brake Some scooters have brakes that have switches that let the controller know the brakes are engaged. The keyswitch could be put in that wire and turning the keyswitch off might make the controller think the brakes are engaged full time.

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage