XB-500 30-amp in-line fuse holder replacement

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
AztecFemBone
AztecFemBone's picture
XB-500 30-amp in-line fuse holder replacement

My 30-amp in-line fuse holder got pretty scorched when my controller blew out way back when. Now that I actually have an operating machine, and in anticipation of installing a new shunt-modified controller, I replaced the in-line fuse holder with a better quality one (purchased at Kragen).
NewFuseBox.jpg

Cut the wires to the fuse holder as well as the one to the controller
100_1818.jpg

Used butt splice connectors to connect the controller wire to the fuse holder wire and then to the remaining wires
FuseBoxSplice1.jpg

Crimped and taped and voila!
FuseBoxinPlace.jpg

JamesS
JamesS's picture
Re: XB-500 30-amp in-line fuse holder replacement

NICE JOB!

Are you getting your controller modified for you or doing it yourself?
You know that after the controller mod you are going to be happy for about a week and then you'll be thinking hmmm. 60 volts....

Glad you finally have your scooter in running order. What a nightmare. You can smile now, just try and keep the bugs out of your teeth.

Happy scooting,
JamesS

AztecFemBone
AztecFemBone's picture

"Not I," said the pig. I'm the guinea pig for 2 separately done mods to be arriving shortly and hope to use the technique to help others in need in the future. :D

richardb
richardb's picture

AFB, Can you describe how you got the front panel of the bike loose so you had access to the wiring down in that area of the bike. I removed all the sheet metal screws that attach it to the dash panel and glove box area, and also the two machine screws that go through the two panels on the sides of the battery compartment, but the front panel will not come loose. I'm a bit afraid to put too much pressure on it, for fear of breaking something. Your photo shows that you have the back edge of the panel loose from the bottom sides of the bike. How did you do that?

Dickey_b
Waste Not, Want Not

AztecFemBone
AztecFemBone's picture

There are also screws on the side of that whole panel next to the battery case. There's a round part of that piece that fits over the screw hole. You have to remove the big screw and then pop both pieces of the screw housing.

While connecting the battery to the bike, heard a "pop" and now key switch is dead. Two fuses came with the bike, 30 amp and one I can't read. Believe it's a 20 amp. The manual shows a 20A between the battery and the key switch. I don't know what to disassemble to gain access to the fuses. My bike is an XB 500. I have two of them. Pictures would help.

AztecFemBone
AztecFemBone's picture

There's info here:
http://visforvoltage.org/forum/5473-xb500-how-remove-plastic-panels

Click on that PDF blow-up. Start with the screws near the pedal holes and work your way forward.

richardb
richardb's picture

AFB,
It is now spring here in Michigan, and I have my bike back up out of my basement. Over the winter, I replaced my fuseholder, and while I had the panels off, I completely re-wired and re-located my controller. My controller is now located under the seat, similar to the XB-600, and the fuse is located there too. While I had everything apart, I also decided to set things up so that I have a switch allowing me to switch between 48 volts and 60 volts. I took lots of photos, and will post them along with a blog on my website soon.
How is your shunt mod working? Any problems?
Dick.

Dickey_b
Waste Not, Want Not

AztecFemBone
AztecFemBone's picture

Dick,

Unfortunately, I have no idea whether the shunt mod has really worked. The scooter has sat in my garage hooked up to the battery charger for months now. I originally bought it to take my son to and from middle school but he's grown much faster than I anticipated and now cannot use it for that! I'm considering buying a kiddie (really doggie) trailer to go to and from the dog park but honestly I'm afraid to ride the damn thing for fear it will break down on me yet again.

So it sits, unused, as does the other controller with the mod that was done for me. And funny thing, out of the blue, I just received another battery pack today from X-treme! I do believe I am under no obligation whatsoever to return it to them.

I have no idea what to do.

tonya299
tonya299's picture

I have a problem with my xb 500, I was at a stop then started to go and make the turn and lost all power and pushed the bike half a mile home. I'm thinking its the fuses but I'm confused on how to get to the fuses? What side is it on? Should I do the shunt mod thing? Did that really work?? It sure is a big hassel to get to the fuses. If changing the fuse doesn't work I will call tech support to see if my bike has a bigger problem. When your bike lost power did anything work? Everything went dead on mine. When I tryed to just charge it again a "pop sound" happened and it was just green light but nothing was working. Wouldn't that be wonderful if tech support came to your home to fix the problem...........tonya :)

:)

tonya299
tonya299's picture

Ok my problem is fixed.......... I had loss of all power after hitting bump in the road, I went to go turn and lost all power and pushed bike home. So last night a guy friend of mine came to look at it. He took all screws out of the battery compartment area looked at the battery connections they were fine, then he tried taking the battery compartment out of the boxed area he gave it a small tug and it came out, although when he did that we noticed the battery pack had one main plug in. When he pulled he unpluged this main black power cord, the ONLY main black power cord that goes to the battiery. He then said "maybe the power cord was loose." He then put the battery box back into its place, put on all screws in then reached around the right side of the bike behind the battery compartment plugged in the main power cord to the battery and made sure it was in all the way. I turned bike on and everything worked. :)

:)

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage