XB-700Li, Regen ?? I'm confused

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
rossasaurus
rossasaurus's picture
XB-700Li, Regen ?? I'm confused

Hey everybody,

I finished installing an LCD ammeter on the GF's 700Li today and took it out for a test spin.
Imagine my surprise when I was down-hilling it, applied the brakes, felt the slow-down and watched the reverse current flow on the ammeter! hmm.
These weren't marketed with regen braking, that I recall. I haven't read of regen on these here on V either.
I'd ridden this a few times, but never down a hill, so I just thought the brakes were "grabby" when engaged lightly, and without the ammeter, I had no clue.
Do we know if this is going back into the battery? or is it just dissipated in the controller(seems like a waste if so)?
Just rechecked x-treme site and no mention, which is why I wondered if perhaps it was not fully-implemented and the regen energy just goes to heat der controller instead of into pack; I mean, why wouldn't they market the feature if it were there?
Thus my confusion.

R

captainslug
captainslug's picture
Re: XB-700Li, Regen ?? I'm confused

I noticed this on my XB-600 after I accidentally swapped the connections on the two hand brakes. The front brake is a mechanical drum brake (which amused my boss a great deal because you rarely see small drum brakes) but the rear wheel brake seems to be primarily electro-mechanical.
When I accidentally swapped the connectors, what was the front brake control was now also triggering the rear wheel to brake. And what was the rear wheel brake now only disabled the throttle and made me coast to a stop.

It may be using the motor for braking, but that doesn't mean the controller includes the circuitry needed to use that current to recharge the batteries. Utilizing the current from regen braking requires some pretty beefy circuitry that I'm fairly sure the stock controller doesn't have.

rossasaurus
rossasaurus's picture
Re: XB-700Li, Regen ?? I'm confused

So do you think the current flow from the motor I'm seeing is actually being fed back into the motor in such a manner as to have it resist rotation?
You know, I keep coming back to this; the shunt I installed is in the battery cable, between the charger and the pack, so doesn't that mean it's gotta be flowing into and charging the battery?
The pack is all there is at the end of that cable.

Xtreme says there's no regen when I asked them.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage