Anyone have the latest firmware?

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
jmap
jmap's picture
Anyone have the latest firmware?

Does anyone have the latest firmware? I've read somewhere that someone in London have it since October 20 (don't know if it is a beta tester or not).

jmap
jmap's picture
Re: Anyone have the latest firmware?

The Vectrix representative here in Portugal said that the newest software release is predicted to be released this week.

tom5007

There are rumours in the UK that the firmware is currently tested and due for release this week. Some weeks ago I received a new firmware. However, this firmware did not introduce any real changes. Actually the only difference I could spot with this firmware was that you could only switch off the headlights when you were and stand still. I wonder who would be the first forum member to report about the latest firmware features.

Norman

Mik
Mik's picture

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

jmap
jmap's picture

Vectrix has started to distribute the new firmware. The importer in Portugal receive it today and is testing it. It seems that some deep discharges are required?! Why is it needed to balance the batteries?

AndY1
AndY1's picture

I think that the new software has to determine the battery low point and makes estimate and battery calculations out of that information.

Hermes

My bike has new software installed, if I'm not mistaken this software release is called:

NPTB0814 And has been installed on my bike on 30th Oct 08. There are some instructions to follow/finalize the update. I will scan the document and post it here as soon as I have a chance.
But from what I quickly read, it requires a full discharge-recharge to install.

AndY1
AndY1's picture

A word of caution. When doing a 'full discharge' (in our case it was called 'deep-discharge' and no one actually knew, how deep discharge to do), discharge only up to the red battery telltale and EST RANGE goes to 0 and all battery bars disappear. After it does that, get to the recharging point as slow as you can to preserve the battery and be as close to the charging point as possible.

Edit: Oh, yeah. Do a full charge just prior to doing a first full-discharge ride, so all the cells are properly balanced without any self-discharge, which can differ from cell to cell.

Hermes

This is the transcript of the instructions that came about the new software.

Now, when I spoke to Vectrix two weeks ago and again when the bike was delivered, I asked if the battery needed conditioning and was told that it DIDN'T as they "now" do the conditioning themselves prior to delivery.
So I was a little surprised to find these instruction along with the Manual. This thing can take up to 12 hours!

I shall ring Vectrix tomorrow and (hopefully) they've already done this "equalization".

Here it goes:

Reference NPBT0814 Rev 1 Issue Date 30 Oct 08

The dealer has loaded new software to improve the battery handling and accuracy of the fuel gauge. In order to finalize the actions with this upgrade, please perform the following actions upon receiving your scooter back from the dealer. Please add this to your owner’s manual.

CONSUMER RESPONSIBILITY

1.0 DO NOT recharge the bike yet. Begin the battery management initialization routine by immediately discharge the battery until the battery light (Red Telltale) illuminates. Then follow steps 2-5 to complete the initialization.

2.0 Set a pre-charge cooling delay. This selectable pre-charge cooling delay has been incorporated into the charging algorithm to cool the batteries prior to charging. This increases the charge efficiency. It is recommended that a delay be used whenever possible and that the duration be made as long as time permits. Set a pre-charge cooling delay as follows:
2.1 Unplug the bike.
2.2 Turn on the bike.
2.3 Pres and hold the SELECT (S) button on the right side of dashboard until you see the Set Delay mode activated on the left LCD.
2.4 Set the delay using the H and M buttons. Press and hold H to increment by 1 hour. Press and hold M to increase in 15 minute increments. The maximum delay you can set is 9 hours, after that it will go back to 0.
2.5 Once you are finished press and hold the SELECT (S) button until you see DONE flash briefly on the left LCD and the normal display returns.
2.6 Enable the programmed delay by pulling the left brake lever while turning off thee ignition key.
2.7 Alternatively you can enable a fixed 30 minute delay by pulling the right lever while turning off the ignition key.

3.0 Fully charge the scooter using the charge delay.
3.1 Plug in the scooter.
3.2 The dashboard will turn on and you will see the initial check, then it will turn off and the plenum fans will run.
3.3 Every 20 minutes the dashboard will turn on and the bike will check the battery temperature. If it is below the set threshold, the plenum fans will turn off and the delay will continue with the fans off. If the temperature is not below the threshold, the plenum funs will run.
3.4 At the end of the delay, the charger will begin a normal charge cycle. A the end of the charge a 1hr post cool down will begin with the fans powered by the battery. This will terminate earlier if the threshold temperature is reached.
3.5 The charger will then begin an equalization charge (this was initiated when new software was loaded). It is recommend that you let this equalization charge complete. The duration is set to 4 hours in addition to the regular charge time. However, if time does not permit, stopping the sequence will not harm your scooter.

4.0 Within 24 hrs, completely discharge the bike again. Be certain the battery light illuminates. This discharge does not have to happen in one ride, but do not perform an opportunity charge (short cycle) until after the bike has been fully discharged.

5.0 Once the battery light illuminates the initialization is complete.

Notes: Unless you want to change the duration, the programmed delay will stay in the memory, so you do not need to reprogram it every time. To enable the programmed delay, simply pull the left brake lever while you are turning off the ignition key prior to plugging in the bike.
Alternatively, you can enable a fixed minute delay by pulling the right lever while you are turning off the ignition key.

The software will keep track of the riding time. After every 12 hrs of riding an equalization command will be sent to charger which will initiate an equalization charge after your next charging cycle

Hermes

I've taken the bike for a ride today. It was delivered to my with half battery full.
I rang Vectrix this morning and asked clarification on the fact that I was told that all bikes sold now have their battery pre-conditioned yet I found a Post Scriptum document telling me to go through the already mentioned "equalization".
Was told it is not vital, it would would probably be good to have it done in warmer climates or after an aggressive ride (overheat).

I drained the battery by going round and round my neighbourhood til it showed the red battery light. The display had one bar left, and 4Kms left on the other display.

Left it for half hour then plugged in.

It's now been 2h 10m: There are only 3 bars missing from full battery. The temperature reads 14 degrees C (it's been the same throughout), and above the temperature it says 148, earlier read 144. I have no idea what that is, will read Mik's notes shortly.

Half hour later (Total of 2h 35m) the dashboard has swtched off, the fans are still going. If there was a "charge complete" message I missed it.

Is this right?

AndY1
AndY1's picture

The 144 and 148 above the temperature is battery Voltage.

On the speedometer LCD, where it writes CP 153, it means that it's Constant Power charging with Cut-Off at 153V. It is followed by a 15 minutes of TR - transitional, followed by an hour of CC - Constant Current and an hour of EC - Equalizing Charge.

Buzby
Buzby's picture

I was initially supportive of this new 'time delay' featur, but I'm not so sure now.

I get power at a 50% cost discount betewrrn 0001 and 0830 (so called 'White Meter'), so I have a timer and electricity consumption monitor plug in my garage which only goes live at 0030 until 0820 each morning.

Once I'm back from wherever, the Vectrix is plugged into the timer socket which is providing no power for at least 6 hours before it becomes energised. What Vectrix have done is simply provide a non-intelligent delay that requires all sorts of secret button-pressing which acts ONLY as a countdown. How difficult wouls it have been - since the bike already knows the current time - to have an 'off peak' mode that would allow you to set actual start times, than a delay from when the plug is inserted and the jeys turned on?

Further, I/m not clear on whether the keys still have to be in the ignition after the initialisation sequence - which is hardly and ideal scenario for Hermes' chosen recharging point. I could just imagine what the insurers would say!

- Raymond

moccasin
moccasin's picture

Buzby,

I think you are reading too much into this. The time delay charging is excellent for those who must charge at work, and can't allow cool down time before going back out to plug the bike in, but for the rest of us, who already use wall timers, there's no issue at all. The software timed delay must be activated each time you charge, simply by pulling one of the brake levers (depending on whether you wish to use the default delay or bump up your own amount of delay time) before turning the bike off AND REMOVING THE KEY. If you simply park the bike and turn it off, there is no delay at all. Therefore, for folks like you and me who get home, plug her in and let the wall timer handle the juice during off peak time, the software delayed start is not there, unless we screw up and turn the bike off with the brakes on, in which case, turn it back on, leave the brakes alone and turn it back off again.

The secret button pressing is a one time setup thing and would not need to be done again unless you wish to change the timed delay period.

At least that's the way I read it. I'll know more in a couple of weeks.

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage