Vectrix Security Alarm

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
jmap
jmap's picture
Vectrix Security Alarm

Does anyone have a good security alarm for Vectrix? If so, what's the brand and model?
I saw some references to Xena (I think that is www.xenasecurity.com) but since they don't have the Vectrix model on their site I don't know what options I have. I find the disk-lock alarms interesting. Does anyone have one?

Please share your experience.

Thanks...

Ken68
Ken68's picture
Re: Vectrix Security Alarm

Almost any Motorcycle Alarm should work in the Vectrix or any other E-Bike. I have a Gorilla Motorcycle Alarm installed under the front fairing of my Luyuan E-Bike http://en.luyuan.cn/product/pb803.asp

It works great and detects all disturbances down to barely touching any part of the E-Bike.

Ken Finch

Thanks,
Ken Finch

AndY1
AndY1's picture

I used Xena on my Yamaha R6 and I'm using Xena now on Vectrix. But, they're not most reliable as I had to replace the first R6 Xena and this new Xena I bought for Vectrix is not reliable. Once it sets off the alarm and at other time it doesn't. I'll have to replace this one too.

tom5007

I got a xena too and have similar problems. Mechanically the disc lock is great but the alarm goes off in the middle of the night without any reasons and at other times it doesnt go off at all. Would these built in alarms work on a Vectrix? I mean they seem to require a permanent 12V supply. Is that available on a Vectrix. I never tried the 12V socket in the glove compartment is it 12V permanent or only when the "ignition" is on?

Hermes

Now that I finally got the bike, I too, would like to buy a disc-lock with alarm. I was looking at the Xena one as it looks exactly what I'm looking for. Andy1 and Tom5007 haven't had a good impression on it, so if anyone can recommend another brand, model etc would be great.

AndY1
AndY1's picture

Don't get me wrong. Xena is ok, but there are many duds. Just get it replaced if it doesn't work as it should.

tom5007

I agree with AndY1xena is great. Make sure You can return it when you get one that plays crazy. And another thing. Don't leave it on the foot rest when you drive off. That's how I lost xena no. 1.

rgx

I use an "ABUS Granit Detecto" disk lock with alarm. Works fine. www.abus.com

jmap
jmap's picture

I agree with AndY1xena is great. Make sure You can return it when you get one that plays crazy. And another thing. Don't leave it on the foot rest when you drive off. That's how I lost xena no. 1.

What is the Xena model that you recomend?

AndY1
AndY1's picture

It's a front disc lock and if it detects any movement while locked, it sounds an 110dB siren alarm.

It's metal and quite heavy - aprox. 1kg.

I chose the model that best fitted my Vectrix.

I think this is the one I have:
http://www.xenasecurity.com/product/motorbikes/alarm/XNSeries/XN15/page1/

retrodog
retrodog's picture

I ordered one of the Xena alarms, the model XN15 version. Now it will just be a challenge to remember to take it off before driving away.

Mik
Mik's picture

I ordered one of the Xena alarms, the model XN15 version. Now it will just be a challenge to remember to take it off before driving away.

The disk lock I have has a small plastic coated wire attached to it which is supposed to be looped around the handle bars - so you cannot forget the lock is on.

Otherwise you will destroy your front brake and possibly get hurt when you take off with the lock still on.

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

moccasin
moccasin's picture

Now it will just be a challenge to remember to take it off before driving away.

I'll share a tip that has worked well for the bike community for a long time....

Pick up a small disc magnet about the size of a dime (or about as big as your fingernail for you folks that don't use dimes ;-). You can buy these for next to nothing at most craft stores. Store the disc magnet on the key hole area of your new disc lock device. When you wish to use your disc lock, you will have to remove the magnet to access the key hole to lock the device. Once this is done, place the disc magnet over the keyhole of your ignition switch on the bike. You will have to remove the disc magnet from your bike's ignition before starting your bike, this will remind you that the disc lock is in place, and may also help keep rain from getting into your bike's key slot.

I don't need a lock on my Vectrix, so I haven't done this with this bike, so I'm only guessing at whether or not a magnet will stick to the new Zena lock and your Vectrix key plate, but if so, it's a great way to prevent a parking lot dump.

retrodog
retrodog's picture
Now it will just be a challenge to remember to take it off before driving away.

I'll share a tip that has worked well for the bike community for a long time....

Pick up a small disc magnet about the size of a dime (or about as big as your fingernail for you folks that don't use dimes ;-). You can buy these for next to nothing at most craft stores. Store the disc magnet on the key hole area of your new disc lock device. When you wish to use your disc lock, you will have to remove the magnet to access the key hole to lock the device. Once this is done, place the disc magnet over the keyhole of your ignition switch on the bike. You will have to remove the disc magnet from your bike's ignition before starting your bike, this will remind you that the disc lock is in place, and may also help keep rain from getting into your bike's key slot.

I don't need a lock on my Vectrix, so I haven't done this with this bike, so I'm only guessing at whether or not a magnet will stick to the new Zena lock and your Vectrix key plate, but if so, it's a great way to prevent a parking lot dump.

Great idea. Thanks for posting it.

Well the Xena lock came in yesterday. And it doesn't work as an alarm... yet. It will trip and annunciate if I try to dis-assemble the alarm. But it won't activate/arm if I just attach it to the disc brake rotor. I'll play with it some more tonight but not too sure what I can change.

AndY1
AndY1's picture

Don't bother. Just get it replaced. Their QA is the worst I've seen yet.

retrodog
retrodog's picture

I did a bit more fiddling with it over the weekend. There are two optical LED looking things that focus through a hole. I believe one to be an IR LED and the other to be a sensor. The bottom part of the lock (inside flat part) has a little round reflector surface. I believe that the light is directed at this and then reflected back to the sensor. Placing the alarm on a brake caliper will break the light beam and cause the alarm to set. I experiment with this and it seems that you have to move it around on the caliper a bit to "get its attention" and then you'll hear the little chirp afterwards, indicating that it is set. So it works, it just doesn't work really well.

Also note that some calipers have slots and holes cut in them for cooling purposes and to cut down on weight (I suppose). These slots and holes can allow the light beam to reflect and complete the path of the beam. So pay particular attention to where you place the lock on the caliper and make sure the beam will be broken and allow the optical sensor circuit to detect it.

Mik
Mik's picture

And make sure no thief knows about this! HAHA!

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage