Mongoose Hack

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
xtian999
Mongoose Hack

This is my Mongoose hack:

Stripped the frame and kept the 20" wheels and dual chains. Lengthening the frame to 54" and relocating shock, swing arm, and seat. Removing Currie drive and adding two gigantic pmdc motors from electric lawnmowers (about 14 lbs each) for thrust. Motors do over 4000rpm, so gearing is through a 20:1 reducer first, then 3:1 sprockets for final ratio. Weight is under 200# and about 420# with rider. Eight or ten 9#, 12 Volt batteries storing juice, so acceleration and top speed estimates exceed safe levels. (Grin) Minimum range is 15 miles from work to home, and back. There is a solar array on the office roof to charge it for free. Cheap 12 volt charger and Dean's connectors to individually recharge batteries one at a time.

Things still needed:
96 Volt or higher, 100 Amp pmdc controller.
Better forks, such as a 125 moto-cross or 500 sport bike front end.
A few gears, shafts, and bearings, all 5/8 bore, #35 chain size.
Lighting, signals, horn.

The bike came from Goodwill for 60.00 and the motors were 18.00 and 30.00. Batteries are all new with 30% discount through my employer. Less than 300.00 in so far, and should come all-in under 500.00.

As soon as it is finished, my next victims will be a couple of old 24 Volt Nissan fork lifts in the warehouse to do an a/c four wheeler.

dogman
dogman's picture
Re: Mongoose Hack

Pictures? Lucky you on the goodwill mowers, I've been looking for one all summer.

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

xtian999
Re: Mongoose Hack

I saw 10 of them on Craigslist this week. Search "electric" and "mower" and you will get a few hits. BTW I saw a 40 hp, 240V, 100 amp 3 phase motor sitting in a field behind a tortilla factory the other day. I'm sure I can score it for cheap.

Voltage wrecked, afire.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage