Centre/Center Stand

43 posts / 0 new
Last post
Buzby
Buzby's picture
Re: Centre/Center Stand

I'd just settle for a stand!

When I bought my V I paid the dealer for it at the time (more fool me!) and it was always 'coming soon'. Now into my 3rd year as a happy V owner, I marvel at the many times I successfully stopped my Vectric tipping over due to a lack of said stand. (Not helped by seeing one being sold - new - on eBay recently, but as part of a job lot of other V bits I didn't need).

If anyone in the UK still has a spare one available, I'd be happy to take it off their hands!

- Raymond

ofx210p

Funny - i've been riding motorbikes from 550cc to 2300cc bikes for the past 22 years (god that makes me sound old) and it is amazing how different centre stands can be in operation depending on the manufacturer and how well they have balanced the centre stand and the pivots for it. Obviously i have no idea yet of how hard a vectrix is to get on the stand but one bike i used to own was a BMW K1 and thats official weight was 234 kg and a 'BIG' bike in every way but i have no memories of it ever being difficult to get on its centre stand. proving that weight isnt everything. Good design goes a very long way.

Mik
Mik's picture

Funny - i've been riding motorbikes from 550cc to 2300cc bikes for the past 22 years (god that makes me sound old) and it is amazing how different centre stands can be in operation depending on the manufacturer and how well they have balanced the centre stand and the pivots for it. Obviously i have no idea yet of how hard a vectrix is to get on the stand but one bike i used to own was a BMW K1 and thats official weight was 234 kg and a 'BIG' bike in every way but i have no memories of it ever being difficult to get on its centre stand. proving that weight isnt everything. Good design goes a very long way.

The VX-1 design is a long way off the BMW - they balance on the centre stand so that both wheels are off the ground, what a beauty! Should be standard....

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

ofx210p

Ok - 'they' being BMW or Vectrix you don't make it terribly clear which? . My K1 like most motorbikes always leaves the front wheel on the ground. I've never heard of a bike that launches BOTH wheels in the air. But although i've been a biker for a couple of decades, i'm new to scooters, so happy to learn more.

Mik
Mik's picture

Ok - 'they' being BMW or Vectrix you don't make it terribly clear which? . My K1 like most motorbikes always leaves the front wheel on the ground. I've never heard of a bike that launches BOTH wheels in the air. But although i've been a biker for a couple of decades, i'm new to scooters, so happy to learn more.

It's some BMW's that lift both wheels off the ground when on the centre stand. This is not possible with a scooter due to the heavy rear wheel/motor/gearbox.

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

Aircon

It's some BMW's that lift both wheels off the ground when on the centre stand. This is not possible with a scooter due to the heavy rear wheel/motor/gearbox.

Are you sure? I don't see how it's possible. Do you know which model does that? I've never seen such a thing.

israndy
israndy's picture

I finally have a center stand!

OMG! I have been waiting SO LONG to finally say that. My dealer in SF, that just did the battery, just got my Center Stand in and I am reading up before I install it. I think I can do the 4 bolts off and back on. What a long wait for something I will probably use 3 times in the life of the bike, but damn it is good the wait is over.

-Randy

myvectrix2008
myvectrix2008's picture

I should be getting my hands on a centre stand in the coming few days.

Hope it's not too difficult to use in everyday situations. Practice makes perfect I guess.

myvectrix2008
myvectrix2008's picture

Got it fitted today.

Tried to make use of it tonight but after 3 attempts, I gave up before I did myself an injury - I'll get the hang of it soon!

ofx210p

Having owned about 20 bikes or more over the years - centre stand operation can vary wildly between makes and models depending on how high the lift and the weight distribution of the bike.

Some obviously easier to operate than others.

On the more difficult ones - good footware is a must and usually momentum from a slight rocking motion once the stand has made contact with the floor will help.

I don't have one on my vectrix so its hard for me to comment, however looking at the location of the vectrix one and the fact that its so far back I am surprised it is hard to operate as you are only lifting the rear of the bike and that is basically the motor /swingarm assm.

If on the other hand you have only owned scooters and small bikes then I am not surprised as the weight of the VX-1 is heading up there with 1ltr ICE tourers and cruisers.

A two or three tips :-
Practice makes perfect.
Place one hand on the handlebars and one hand under the rear compartment when lifting and pressing down on your foot.
Don't try to put the sidestand down on a sideways slope or the bike WILL fall over.
Don't put the sidestand down on ANY hill as :-
If you are facing up hill miraculously it will feel really easy to get th VX-1 on the stand but you'll find when you come to get it off that you'll probably not be able to.
If you are facing downhill this is a guaranteed way to see your prized bike roll off the stand and fall over the moment you walk away. Many people have made that mistake.

So good luck and keep trying

One other thing that might make it difficult to operate is that from what i recall, it attaches to the swingarm. I dont know of any other bike that i've seen that does that. (bear in mind i haven't any real scooter exposure) so this to me feels like an afterthought (although the bolt pattern may oppose that premise) but of course if it is on the swing arm in operation the shocks are going to compress thereby making it harder to get up on to the stand as normally its attached to the frame of the bike and has something solid to lift. (just a thought, and i realise that the lifting point on the swingarm is close to the swing arm pivot and due to that should minimise the compression effect but it does seem and interesting place to put it)

myvectrix2008
myvectrix2008's picture

I've got the hang of it now - the key is to let the stand do the work. A swift, smooth action works for me.

I was struggling initially as I was trying to lift with the weight of the bike. I've only ever had previous experience with a small scooter and found that difficult at first.

A good tip I've found is to keep the handle bars straight otherwise, it goes back at an angle and could make contact with any nearby objects.

toolboxjesse

OK, so is there a way to order one over the internet for the U.S? My same question applies to every other Vectric part- is there an online parts retailer?

Thanks,
Jesse in Atlanta

Jesse in Atlanta

Pages

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Persival
  • boomingheight
  • janet
  • Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57

Support V is for Voltage